Rafal scowled.

"M-my apologies, s-sir," the dean said. "I think I-I need to—p-please excuse me."

He turned around and burst out laughing, doubling over and slapping his knees. Rafal waited, burning holes into his hunched back until Humburg faced him again.

"My apologies once more, Master Rafal," Humburg breathed, wiping his eyes. "That was a terrible sneeze."

Rafal continued scowling, and Humburg burst with laughter again. If the Kingdom Council hadn't revoked most of his magic, he would've turned his fatuous dean into a mouse and had him for dinner.

🐾🐾🐾

Rhian couldn't shake the suspicion that his Evil twin hadn't learned his lesson and was plotting against him. Rafal had been keeping a low profile since his return. Rhian had sworn to tell no one of his punishment, and they'd resumed their immortal life together as if those six months had been a dream. Except now Rafal was a cat, and Rhian had to help feed him and clean out his litter box, a responsibility that felt more like a punishment of his own. Rafal almost seemed to be delighting in the inconveniences that he caused Rhian, such as "accidentally" knocking things off shelves, shedding all over his bed, and jumping up onto the table and soiling Rhian's half with his filthy paws.

"Rafal!" Rhian said. "You know the rules: wash your paws before eating!"

"My paws are perfectly clean," Rafal said. "I'm a cat. Cleaner than you."

"You lick yourself!" Rhian said. "There's nothing 'clean' about you, now get down!"

Rafal hissed.

"Fine," Rhian said. "We'll do this the hard way."

He conjured a spray bottle and aimed it at his Evil twin. Instantly, Rafal shrieked and sprang into the air. He leaped off the table and sprinted for the bed chamber and disappeared between the curtains.

Rhian sighed. He cleaned the table before sitting down to eat. He didn't wait for Rafal, but he expected him to leave the bed chamber at some point during supper and continue aggravating him. He never did.

With a simple spell, Rhian vanished the used dinnerware back to the school's kitchen and checked the bed chamber.

"Rafal?" he said, looking around. "Are you all right?"

Silence.

Rhian sat down on his bed.

"Please, come out," he said. "I'm sorry."

A paw swiped at his ankle, causing Rhian to scream and stumble and land on his rump. The Good School Master scolded the white cat that was peeking out from under the bed, little teeth bared in laughter.

Rhian had to do something about his Evil-twin-turned-cat.

🐾🐾🐾

"Let me out of here!"

Rafal attempted to squeeze through the golden bars of his oversized birdcage to no avail. Rhian smiled.

"I'll let you out," the Good brother said, "but first, you need to learn some manners."

Rafal glared daggers at him. "Bond of blood or not, you will pay for this if you don't let me out immediately."

Rhian ignored him, summoning his gold fingerglow, and a large, wooden box sprouting a crystal cluster manifested before Rafal's birdcage.

Rafal raised a brow at his reflection in its window.