Chapter Two

(He Never Should've Done That)

Korri POV

I get out of bed and press my ear to the door.

"He never should've done that," says Lola.

"I'm just plain surprised by his handwriting." Apollo breathes.

"That's not what we should be worried about. Do you think she knows?"

"Unlikely. If he can barely convey that, then it's very unlikely."

"If she's the reincarnation of Sol, then wouldn't they be siblings?" Lola asks.

"Not really, they wouldn't biologically be siblings, the closest would be half-siblings. Sol didn't have the same mom or dad as Ares."

"Still, he's an idiot."

Apollo laughs. "I thought you were gonna call him a twit."

"He is also, that." And their footsteps recede down the stairs.

ARES? I call out through telepathy again.

I get to my feet, regretting it from the sharp hiss of air I suck in through my clenched teeth.

My leg hurts.

I put on hand to the wall, and other around my side, hoping I don't fall—and/or throw up—and make another commotion.

I succeed in only one of those things.

No one hears anything, or, at least I think so, and I creep down the stairs.

Apollo and Lola are sitting at the dining table.

"Do you think she knows what he meant?" Lola asks.

"Again, unlikely." Apollo says, raising his eyebrows. "Do you think she does?"

"Depends on what exactly." She says, her words turning into a whisper.

I'm too far away to hear what she said, but I definitely hear Apollo. "Good point, but do you think that Ares knows?"

"No. Probably not, from what I've seen of him is that he's as dense as a chunk of granite. Like he wouldn't even know what an admirers' letter was if he got smacked in the face with it."

Apollo shrugs. "That is a fair description. I've seen such things happen."

"I'm gonna go check on Korri."

I hurry back up to my room and shut the door softly behind me.

I go back to bed—which felt good compared to before—and try to put her words together in my head.

Did she tell Apollo... SHE DID! THAT TRAITOR!

Lola comes up a few minutes later, with the note in hand, and sits on the bed beside me.

I smile. "The last time someone sat beside me on my bed like this, was when Ares fell asleep on me."

"Seriously?" Lola says, a smirk forming on her face.

"Seriously," I chuckle. "He went to go see his dad, but when he came back, he just sat by me and waited, even though I was a complete stranger, and a pretty mean person, he just waited, and waited, and eventually, fell asleep on me. He got all fired up when I woke him up."

"Sounds like he's committed." She mumbles.

I look at her. "What do you mean committed?"

"Just a comparison to other people," she lies.