John stopped talking when he finally noticed the way her voice was about to break.

"I don't have a family, John. You do. Theodore is all I have." There were visible tears welling in her eyes which made John regret his actions almost automatically.

"Listen, Mads— i'm sorry alright? You know i didn't mean to upset you." He said quietly, trying to take her hand. Only she pulled it back and avoided his eyes. "Madeline please."

"I want to go home."

"That's fine— we can go back to the house." He agreed quickly. Maddie shook her head. "No, i want to go home."

Her words made his heart drop. "Don't be stupid, yeah?" John said. "It wasn't just you who was forced into this. I had to do it too." He reminded her. "But i've promised to love you and keep you safe. And sending you back to that camp will be breaking a promise— and I don't intend to break promises."

-

Madeline sat at the kitchen table with her head in her hands. Hers and Johns conversation repeated over and over.

"Mads please come to bed." John said, standing at the door with just his suit pants and under shirt on. She didn't look at him. "I'll come in a moment." She replied bluntly.

"Madeline." He said. "What's gotten you so upset?"

Madeline shrugged. "I'm still getting used to everything— i've told you that. So please, please try and understand that." She sounded like she was begging him.

John sighed, slightly frustrated. He ran a hand across his face and thought of something to say. "Listen just come to bed and we can talk about it."

"What if I don't want to talk about it?"

"Then you don't have to fucking talk about it!" He snapped. She looked up at him with a frown, confused as to why he was getting angry at her.

Madeline's heart was beating quickly and she looked at John with a slight fear in her eyes. John's eyes were wide when he realised how he'd just spoke to her.

"Mads— Maddie i'm sorry. I didn't mean to speak to you like that." John walked to her, kneeling to her level and trying to take her hands. She just stared at him, mouth parted and an expression he struggled to read.

But this time she hadn't ripped her hands away from him.

He used his thumbs to draw circles on the backs of her hands, begging for her to say something. "Maddie i'm sorry." He said again.

John felt ashamed that he'd let himself speak to her like that. Over what? Nothing. When he said that to her, all he could hear was his brothers and the way they spoke to people, his father and the way he used to treat women.

"Listen i'm— i'm so sorry. I never meant to raise my voice or make you upset."

Madeline could see the distress in his face as he rambled on, squeezing her hands gently. She relaxed her body and gave up the stubborn act.

"John it's okay." Madeline removed her hands from his and used them to hold the sides of his face, forcing him to look at her. He placed his hands on the sides of her upper legs that were slightly bare due to the dress she was wearing.

John leaned his head forward, his forehead resting on hers. "John stop." She said quietly. John took a deep breath and nodded slightly. "Please come to bed." He asked again.