08| QUITE NICE

En başından başla

"You, sir, are an asshole," she laughed, giving him a gentle slap on the chest.

"What?" he chuckled, feigning innocence. He had chosen the movie with a purpose.

"You know what. This is the one movie that made me cry when I was fifteen," she scolded him, half-jokingly. He learned that information in rehab.

"I just want to see if you've got a soft side," he teased. Charis playfully rolled her eyes, realizing he had already seen her at her worst, and now he was in for discovering her best—or what she deemed her best, given her reservations.

After the bowl of popcorn and some good-natured teasing about Charis crying during the movie, Cole stood up, eager to prepare some food. Charis tried to dissuade him, claiming he didn't need to make any more, but he insisted. She ultimately relented, deciding not to stand in the way if he wanted to cook. In a short while, he returned with popcorn, proposing the idea of waffles or pancakes after the movie. Charis agreed, and he joyfully threw himself onto the couch, setting up the next movie.

As the opening scenes of 10 Things I Hate About You played, Charis couldn't contain her laughter. Cole playfully began to regret his choice as she enthusiastically raved about Heath Ledger's looks, though he couldn't help but agree that Ledger was indeed a good-looking guy. The lighthearted banter continued as they settled into the second movie of the night. Cole held Charis as though she might slip away at any moment, a comforting embrace that Charis relished, finding a sense of security in his warmth.

"Would you buy me an instrument?" Charis joked, referencing the movie scene.

"Hell, I'd buy you a horse," he responded, planting a kiss on her.

They continued in their cozy position until the conclusion of the movie. Once it ended, Cole began coaxing Charis up from the couch, much to her playful groaning. He was adamant about making pancakes, but Charis wasn't particularly enthusiastic. She convinced herself it would upset her stomach with all the sugar, though deep down, she just needed an excuse not to eat.

"Come on, what are you on about?" Cole laughed, nudging her toward a bar stool. He assumed she was joking and proceeded to make the pancakes for both of them. He couldn't fathom why she wouldn't want to enjoy some.

"Are you worried I'm gonna mess them up?" he asked, preparing the batter.

"No," she laughed, though she refrained from touching the food and settled back onto the stool.

Cole shook his head playfully and proceeded to prepare the food. They sustained their playful banter throughout the pancake-making process. Cole sensed that something was on Charis's mind, but he didn't want to press her to eat or discuss anything she wasn't ready for. He suspected it might be related to her brother. To Charis's amusement, he only managed to burn one pancake, and she applauded him for it.

When the pancakes were ready and neatly arranged on a plate, Cole slid the plate to the center of the counter. He observed Charis as she stared at the plate, absentmindedly toying with the hem of her sleeve. Sensing that there might be more beneath the surface, he chose not to comment, avoiding any unnecessary alarm. Charis, likewise, didn't want to concern him with her thoughts. Feeling his gaze, she reached out for a single pancake and began to eat it. Although Cole felt a bit relieved, Charis remained contemplative as they sat side by side.

"How has today been for you?" he asked, turning slightly in his chair as he ate. Charis, appearing calm yet somewhat relaxed, practiced in her response, turned to face him. She pushed her plate away, leaning on her elbow against the counter.

"It started out rather challenging," she nodded, tilting her head, her eyes wandering over the kitchen cabinets.

"But I think it's turning for the better," she added, returning her gaze to his, offering a sincere smile. He might have been a factor in the rough morning, but his intentions seemed genuine.