chapter seventeen

Start from the beginning

"-I just mean, are you this involved with everyone? That'd- that'd keep you pretty busy.. I'm sorry.."

I snicker softly at his fretful expression.

"It's okay." I tell him, putting him out of his misery.

I can't really be mad at him. Because I'm not so sure I am much of a professional anymore..

"To answer your question.. No." I add. "We've worked quite closely together the past couple of months.. We've become friends. Which perhaps, is a little on the unprofessional side.."

"I wouldn't say that." Sam says. "It happens. I befriended people in my therapy groups, before the blip."

"I've heard about your work. It's very commendable." I tell him. "I admit, I was a little chuffed to meet you."

"My therapy work, not my Falcon work?" Sam asks, with a smirk and a raised brow.

"Mhm." I nod with a smile.

"There's a first." Sam laughs under his breath. "Thank you."

"Your Falcon work is also commendable." I add with a smirk and he chuckles.

"Thank you."

Sam looks away in thought and then brings his eyes back to me, giving me a once over.

"I'm glad he has you. I think you're good for him." he says. "He seems different.. Better."

I smile shyly.

It's not long before Bucky returns. He nods at us and we make our way out of the hall, and out of the facility completely. He doesn't utter a word and neither do we. Not until we're outside.

"What do you mean you wanna break Zemo outta jail? Have you lost your mind?" Sam asks Bucky as we walk down the street.

"We have no leads, no moves, nothing." Bucky defends while he hails a cab.

"Yeah, what we have is one of the most dangerous men in the world behind bars." Sam argues.

"And we also have super soldiers on the loose." Bucky counters, opening the door of the cab. He holds it open and gestures for me to get in.

I slip in, Bucky close behind me, while Sam hops in the other side. Bucky gives the driver a destination and we take off.

"Super soldiers go against everything Zemo believes in. He's crazy, but he still has a code." Bucky says to Sam, keeping his voice low.

"Yeah and I've been on the wrong side of that code, Bucky, and so have you." Sam says.

We're quiet for the rest of the drive.

I almost want to laugh at the fact that I'm squashed in the back of a cab, in between two Avengers, in Germany.

What is my life right now?

We arrive at some large garage-looking building and go inside.

"Where are we, man?" Sam asks as we enter the seemingly once active, now abandoned, building.

It's expansive, with high ceilings, with multiple vehicles parked in an orderly fashion.

We enter a back room and Bucky switches on the light.

There's shelves and benches covered in tools and parts. And on the far left, a curtain of plastic hangs in the doorway to the next room.

"Look, let me just walk you through a hypothetical." Bucky says to Sam, not answering his question. "Can I walk you through a hypothetical?"