Ch 26: 'Rabbit Hole'

Start from the beginning

"Someone! Please! He stole my bag!"

The sound of a woman's voice from the streets below was enough to pull my attention away from the staredown of Mirko, and to the direction the voice came from. It didn't take long for my eyes to land on the woman in need. With concern on her face, she looked for a hero, as she pointed in a direction behind her where a villain could be seen running away with a handbag in, well...Hand. Though, what made this villain stand out was the fact he was running...Whilst on stilts. 

Villain: "Hahaha! Prepare yourself, city! For it is your day of reckoning! For I, the Mighty Stilt-Menace is here to cause havoc!"

A fairly weak-looking man called out such, as he ran over people and cars, all thanks to the robotic legs that extended from his body all the way to the ground below, about ten meters in total. Though just like me, the people in the surrounding area couldn't help but just stare at the villain for a moment. As if properly trying to contemplate what they just saw.

(Y/n): "Stilt-Menace? That's his name, really?"

Mirko: "Eh. You'd be surprised with the crappy villains in this part of the city."

(Y/n): "Huh?"

I moreso meant that as a notion of seeking further confirmation that such was true. But it quickly shifted to one of confusion, when I saw Mirko simply continue eating her lunch, a salad in a plastic container, even as the villain dashed off further in the distance. What shocked me the most wasn't what she was eating, but the fact she was staying rather still, not even facing the direction of the aforementioned action.

(Y/n): "Um...Mirko?"

Mirko: "Hmm?"

She mumbled with lettuce hanging out of her mouth.

(Y/n): "The, uh...The villain?"

All the while I nonchalantly pointed in the direction of the foe of the hour.

Mirko: "What about him?"

(Y/n): "Aren't we going to do something about it?"

Mirko: "I don't know...Are you?"

(Y/n): "M-Me? But I'm..."

To be honest, at first, I really was confused by what she was talking about. Which actually annoyed me quite a bit. Mainly because I've kinda been struggling to concentrate properly when around Mirko. Mainly because she was unlike other heroes. She had different characteristics and ideals compared to someone like All Might. And her, um...Hero suit didn't really leave much to the imagination. But it was as I stared dumbfounded in the direction of Mirko, I came to realize what she was referring to. A simple shift of her eyes, as if giving me a helpful nudge, was all I needed to take in for my focus to turn back in the direction of Stilt-Menace.

Stilt-Menace: "Hahaha! No one can stop! No one can stop my Stilt-Quirk!"

In the line of sight between me and the villain, I witnessed cause of destruction and fear in the eyes of people. I saw just what the mere presence alone of a villain could make. The final straw, the scream of a child. A little boy who clung to his mother's leg in desperation of being save as this Stilt-Dumbass ran rapidly through the middle of the streets. He was lucky to not hurt anyone, but his luck was about to run out. But he wasn't going to be the one to hurt people, he was going to be the one to get hurt. By me. 

Because confused or not, no matter what I've been like since starting this internship, when it comes to saving the day, my heads in the game. And unfortunately for lame villains like this guy, that spells the end of their reign of terror. And I think Mirko got a taste of that. Her eyes taking in more intrigue as I aimlessly walked past her. Not a word was spoken, and not a single movement from my head arrived. Mirko only watched as I made my way to the opposite edge of the building we were on, and stared out at the carnage before me.