𝘃𝗶𝗶𝗶 | 𝗱𝗶𝘃𝗶𝗻𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻

Start from the beginning

Ron was comparing his and Hermione's schedules. 'Hermione,' he said, frowning, 'They've messed up your timetable. Look-- they've got you down for ten subjects a day. There isn't enough time.'

'I'll manage,' Hermione said nonchalantly. 'I've fixed it all with Professor McGonagall.'

Ron laughed. 'But look, see this morning? Nine o'clock, Divination. And underneath, nine o'clock, Arithmancy. And tomorrow, nine o'clock, Muggle Studies, nine o'clock, Ancient Runes--' Ron leaned closer to her timetable, disbelieving. 'Hermione, I know you're good but no one's that good. How're you supposed to be in two classes at once?'

'Don't be silly,' said Hermione shortly. 'Of course I won't be in two classes at once.'

'Well, then--'

'Pass the marmalade,' said Hermione. Gwen gave it to her.

'But--'

'Oh, Ron, what's it to you if my timetable's a bit full,' Hermione snapped. 'I told you, I've fixed it with Professor McGonagall.'

It was then that Hagrid walked in, wearing his long moleskin overcoat and was casually swinging a dead polecat in one of his enormous hands.

'Alrigh'?' he said eagerly, pausing on the way to the staff table. 'Yer in my firs' ever lesson! Right after lunch! Bin up since five gettin' ev'r'thin' ready... hope it's OK... me, a teacher... hones'ly...'

He grinned broadly at them and headed off to the staff table, still swinging the polecat. Gwen and Harry shared a look.

'Wonder what he's been getting ready?' said Ron, watching Hagrid's back retreat. The Hall had started to empty now, everyone getting ready to go to their first lesson. Ron checked his timetable.

'We'd better go, look, Divination's at the top of the North Tower. It'll take us ten minutes to get there...'

The four of them finished their breakfast as quickly as they could, said goodbye to Fred and George, and walked back through the Hall. As they passed the Slytherin table, Malfoy did yet another impression of a fainting fit; the shouts of laughter followed them to the Entrance Hall. They stopped hastily in Gryffindor tower to change into their uniforms, then began the journey to the North Tower.

It was a long one. Two years at Hogwarts hadn't meant that they knew their full way around the castle, and they had never been to the North Tower before. Within a few minutes of climbing several staircases, they were all panting for breath.

'There's-- got-- to-- be-- a-- short-- cut,' Ron panted as they climbed their seventh staircase. They'd emerged on an unfamiliar landing where there was nothing but a large painting of bare stretch of grass hanging on the stone wall.

'I think it's this way,' said Hermione, clutching her side as she peered down an empty passage.

'Can't be,' said Gwen. 'That's south, look you can see a bit of the lake out the window...'

The four of them paused to catch their breath, looking around as if a magical sign would appear and point them in the right direction.

'Aha!'

An unfamiliar voice startled them all. The painting before them, which had been empty save a dappled pony eating grass, was a short, squat knight in a suit of armour, the metal clanking as he drew his sword and pointed it at them.

'What villains are these that trespass upon my private lands! Come to scorn at my fall, perchance? Draw, you knaves, you dogs!'

The little knight began brandishing his sword violently, hopping up and down in rage. They watched him in astonishment as he swung his sword, which was too long for him, wildly. He lost his balance as landed face down in the grass.