Chapter 97: Nightmarish Monsters

Почніть із самого початку

"Huh?" The Straw Hats gasped.

(Y/N) looked around the destroyed lab as Usopp spoke. "That makes sense. A huge explosion would do this kind of damage. So Robin's theory was right after all."

After a few moment of silence, Brownbeard began the story again. "Intense heat and toxic substances seeped into the air, and none of the plants or animals on the island survived." (Y/N) kept calm, staring up at Brownbeard. 'Toxic chemicals in the air? There certainly isn't any chemicals now. I wonder if that gas guy had anything to do with it...' After another short pause, Brownbeard continued. "The Government ordered the island evacuated, retrieving their own people but leaving the test subjects behind. Vegapunk's operation was shut down, and his guinea pigs were thrown away like trash. They did what they could to survive, taking shelter in the Third Laboratory, the only one still intact. There, they were protected from the poison gas that contaminated the entire island. Those who survived were paralyzed from exposure to the gas, which stole the use of their lower body. They lived on, without any real hope for the future. But then... a year later, everything changed. A kind master arrived on the island, restoring the hope that had been lost. With his ability, he purified the island of the toxic gas. He also gave the prisoners who couldn't walk the mechanical means to move. More than that, he gave them purpose by making them his loyal subordinates."

Chopper (Sanji) and Franky (Chopper) tried to hold back their whimpers and tears until Franky (Chopper) cried out. "Ah! Kind Master!"
Followed by Chopper (Sanji)'s crying shouts. "Master!"
Brook even joined in, sobbing. "Merciful Master!"

(Y/N) blankly stared at her three crew mates behind her. 'How can you cry over something like this? Gas guy wasn't merciful. He helped them out, yes, but he also took away their freedom by making them his 'loyal subordinates'.' (Y/N) turned back to face Brownbeard when he began speaking again. "I came to the island a year after that, desperate and broken. Two years have passed since my arrival." He deeply sighed. "Some toxic substances remained in the air even then, and breathing it left me feeling nauseous. I began to think I had no more strength to carry on. I had fought to survive, but I was reaching the end. But then I saw them, the men that has lost the use of their legs just as I had. And with them, the Master." Brownbeard had tears in his eyes. "I owe everything to him. His kindness saved my life as it saved others before me. Vegapunk and his experiments stole my comrades' legs. But then the Master arrived, a kind and generous savior. And then a few months ago, fate brought us another surprise. Trafalgar Law. A Warlord arrived on the island and became our second savior. Using his special ability, he gave legs to those of us who couldn't walk without mechanical assistance. They were the legs of living animals! We thought we would never walk again, so we wept when our bodies were restored."

"Oh, my gosh, that's the most beautiful story ever!" Chopper (Sanji) and Franky (Chopper) wept with tears pouring from their eyes.

"You see? I told you Traffy was a good guy." Luffy happily smiled. "I'm not the only one whose life he saved."

(Y/N) blankly stared at her captain and two weeping crew mates. 'I still wouldn't call it 'saving' if they're going to make these people their 'loyal subordinates'.' She looked down, placing her hand on her chin in thought. 'Law doesn't seem like a guy that would want the label 'savior.' Why did Law even come to a place like this? He has to be up to something...' Nami (Franky) spoke up making (Y/N) look back at her. "How could Dr, Vegapunk do something so horrible?"

"Well, I guess this explains the half-sheep people. The ones back at the laboratory." Sanji (Nami) spoke up.

Usopp spoke up next. "Centaurs and the bird-woman. It all makes sense now. 'Cept the dragon. What was up with that?"" (Y/N) tilted her head in confusion. 'I remember the sheep people, but a bird-woman and a dragon? What was his group seeing out there?'