Chapter Two: Carriage Failure

Edith stepped in Ollivander's. Two men were discussing and joking amongst themselves; Edith could recognize Mr. Ollivander, and professor Fig. 

     "Yes I remember when your father crafted my wondrous wand!" said the her teacher with grey hair. Then he noticed Edith, and smiled. "Ah, miss Wells! I see you are well!"

      Edith was happy to see her teacher after so long. He had stopped by the Wells' family home a couple of times due to a request from mrs. Wells personally to teach Edith some History of Magic. He had no legal permit to teach her actual magic outside of Hogwarts, so unfortunately he could only teach her the historical side of things. 

     "You are here for a wand, are you not?" asked Mr. Ollivander politely. "Oh, but of course, you are. Come on, then." 

     Edith followed after Mr. Ollivander as he muttered things to himself. Professor Fig followed as well. 

     "How about Birch wood with a unicorn hair, eleven inches, stiff?" Mr. Ollivander opened a wand case revealing a wand inside. "Come on, give her a flick." 

     Edith, reluctantly did. But the reaction was much larger than a small flick—fireworks exploded about the room, knocking some boxes down. She quickly placed it back in its box and Mr. Ollivander swiftly put it away.

     "Nope, definitely not that one." He said, muttering again. 

     He brought out wand after wand. But it seemed as if none wanted to accept Edith as their wielder. It had never been so difficult for Mr. Ollivander to find someone their appropriate wand; but he was not planning to give up.

     He found one final wand case, seemingly forgotten—there was at least six layers of dust on it. "How about Ebony, thestral tail-hair, twelve-and-a-half inches, brittle flexibility?" 

     "Thestral tail-hair?" asked Professor Fig, confused. "There are wands with such cores?"

     The wand maker remained silent; his face was evident of curiosity. He handed the wand case to Edith with anticipation. Fig was also leaning in with excitement to see if this was the one. 

     Edith tried this wand and it felt better in her hands already. She gave it a flick and the color turned a cool cyan hue—much like her eye color. It was as if stars emitted off the wand itself. She couldn't help but smile at the sight. 

     "Oh bravo, bravo!" Professor Fig clapped. 

     "Perfect! This is the one indeed!" said Mr. Ollivander, excitedly. He seemed to really like his job. Then his face slightly fell. "Oh, but how curious..." 

     "What's curious?" Edith felt the rush of excitement be replaced with a sudden worry. "Is there something wrong with this wand?"

     "Thestral tail-hair. I know not of a wand made of such a core." Professor Fig furrowed his eyebrows, wrinkle lines forming at the corners of his dark eyes. "However, if this wand has chosen her, it poses no issues does it?"

     "Of course not, the wand chooses the wizard after all," said Mr. Ollivander, then he smiled. "Anyway, worry not about the payment. Your brother, Jacob, has taken care of it. Snakewood, dragon core, nine inches; what a shame it was destroyed after his expulsion." 

     Edith smiled at that.  

     "Well, then. Miss Wells, we have some special arrangements for your travel to Hogwarts. So, Mr. Ollivander, we best be off." Professor Fig shook Mr. Ollivander's hand and then they began walking out. 

     They continued through Diagon Alley, until they reached the outskirts—where an alleyway of homes shielded them from any possible bystanders. A carriage waited for them.