ㅤIt was a pretty bleak bare minimum to have. Alex appreciated any attitude that was a step short of basic respect. James, on the other hand, required a certain level of anxiety from others.

ㅤ"Then I want to know about it. If it concerns you, I'm interested. I can comfort you."

ㅤAlex chuckled, suddenly. It seemed like he himself was surprised that it bubbled out of him. It lit up his worn, tired features. James drank in the sight.

So handsome.

ㅤ"What's so funny?" he asked, only a little offended.

ㅤ"The thought of you trying to comfort anyone, let alone me."

ㅤJames frowned. "I think I do a good job."

ㅤ"You throw booze and little treasures at me, like a fucked up crow. It's endearing, don't get me wrong, but it's far from what others consider emotional comfort."

ㅤJames tried to stifle his beaming grin, but the essence of it slipped out, his tone wavy and excitable. "You find me endearing?"

ㅤ"You already knew that."

ㅤ"I like hearing you say it. I like that you know that you find me endearing."

ㅤ"Oh? I also know that I find you unhinged. Stop smiling."

ㅤJames touched his cheek, he really was still smiling, quite severely, too. Although there was much chatter amongst the men, the mood was religiously subdued and respectful of their dead.

ㅤ"James," Thomas barked, glaring at him painfully. Reluctant revulsion was underlined by his dark tired bags.

ㅤNodding, James masked his expression better.

ㅤThe small distant line of aqueducts was now burgeoned as they came close, towering high like a cliff and cutting straight through the landscape like a blade. Layers of long tall archways, held up by bricked stone pillars, its royalty was insulting to the Gods.

ㅤ"I want silence from hereon!" Harrison called. "Watch the pillars!"

ㅤThe soldiers and mercenaries didn't need to be told twice. The tension was palpable. Hooves clopped, the carriages shuddering, as they wordlessly passed under a tall arch. The road bent on the other side, dragging parallel to the structure all the way to the capital.

ㅤSoldiers kept a keen eye on it, their guards raised. Hands twitched on the grips of swords, breaths hitched, anticipating an ambush. James scrutinised the next layer up, the arches smaller, squashed under the flow of water.

ㅤ"Alex, Thomas, watch above," James warned. "Enough people are looking next to them. Look up."

ㅤ"Fletcher, stay close to me," Thomas warily ordered. He obeyed James' instincts, keeping Fletcher on the opposing side.

ㅤEris pricked at James' palm, her ripples staggered. She felt like the dark smears across the clouds, where the murkiness sharpened on the edges. James' steady heart was strong, pulsing under his skin.

ㅤ"Alex," he murmured. "What weapons do you h—"

ㅤHe didn't receive an answer. Alex yanked on his reins and a whistle thunked against a tree, darting right past where Alex's skull had been a mere second before. The deep flurry of chaos enshrouding them, arrows descended like hail.

ㅤ"Defend!"

ㅤJames drew Eris, urgently pulling into the shadow of the armoured carriage. Thuds of arrows hit the ground, spiking out. Horses squealed and cried in pain, kicking their legs and sidestepping, their thick skin pierced through. Soldiers struggled to get control, some falling, tangled in their stirrups.