part 1 - the rehearsal

y/n's pov

i wake up to my phone buzzing, my daily 8:30 alarm going off. i turned the annoying sound off and dragged myself out of my bed. i opened my bedroom door and quickly walked to the kitchen to make my breakfast. 2 eggs, a slice of toast, with orange juice. this was my favourite part of most days. it didn't take long for me to finish, and i prepared for my shower. i grabbed my towel, as well as my phone to play some music.

afterwards, i realized i still had a couple hours before lunch with my mom. i decided to watch youtube on my laptop, and occasionally glance on my phone for any work i could find. the only problem, was that i could never find anything. and even in the rare case i did, it never worked out. my savings were nearly nothing now, so i only have a few weeks left before i need to find something. even if i'll hate it.

by lunch, i had still found nothing. but at least i didn't have to look any longer. i didn't care too much about the outfit. my jacket would cover it. my family has always lived in new york, and the weather has always been one of my favourite things. sure, it was very cold. but when i look out my window at night, and i see the snow with the bright lights, it still makes me so happy. i slid my shoes on, and made my way to the cafe my mom chose. it wasn't too far, so i walked with my headphones in.

after 15 minutes of walking, i made my way into the small building. i spotted my mom near the back and walked to her. she got up and gave me a warm, tight hug. "y/n, how are you?" she says as we both sit. "i'm okay, mom. you?" i reply while taking my coat and hat off. "i'm alright. did you want anything?" she said smiling. "i'll have... just a coffee, i think. what are you gonna get?" she looked at the menu closely. "i think i'll copy you, dear." i don't think i had ever heard someone use that word unironically. at least not like she did. my grandma was english, completely. my mom had taken her vocabulary, and i loved it. she didn't have a strong enough accent to tell she was that english, which made it much cuter. "so, how's it coming? any work?" she said with a slight hint of sarcasm. "you know the answer to that. there's never anything." i said back, a little harsh. "darling, it's okay. you'll find something. you know, your father and i still have a room for you whenever you need." she replied sweetly. "i know, mom. but i'm an adult now. i need to be like one. i can't live with you forever." she grabbed my hand. "everything is gonna be okay, y/n. i promise." i gave her a smile, and a girl came over to take our orders. we didn't talk about much else. mostly just basic updates, and whatnot. after we finished our coffee, we stood up and hugged each other before going our own directions.

i got home, and took my jacket off and hung it on the coatrack. i checked the time, and walked over to my laptop. i opened my email, and found i had received a message while i was out. it was from my old dance teacher who had now become a pretty well known choreographer.

"hey, y/n. it's alicia. i just wanted to let you know we have an open spot for a music video, and i would love for you to fill it. the rehearsal is at 9 pm tomorrow. take your time to think about it, and let me know by midnight."

with a smile, but without hesitation, i began to write back a response. i need this. i don't even care how much it's paying, or if it is at all. i just need to feel something.

"hi, alicia! it's great to hear from you. i'd love to come. if you don't mind me asking, who's video is it? anyways, thanks for thinking of me, and i'll see you tomorrow."

i didn't get a response for a long time. it was around 10 pm by the time she sent me another email. i was very anxious, and i just hoped she didn't find someone else instead.

"hey, alicia again. i'm glad you're able to join! it's a shoot for hailee steinfeld. she's been in a good amount of movies, and obviously has some music too. the rehearsal is at our old studio. i'll send a copy of the choreography! see you then!