Chapter Twenty Nine: ARI

Start from the beginning

She had to be quick.

Rubbing her hand together she allowed the friction to warm the muscles, the blood pulsed beneath the skin. With a deep breath she turned it on. The machine quietly woke from its slumber opening to the last screen she'd seen.

The words "GOTCHA" were directly followed by the words,

SIGNAL LOST.

She quickly backtracked the signal. It tried to openly access Farris' ship transmitter, and Ari had to stop the automatic connection. Muting it she had to first disguise it not as a signal but as incoming information. Reconstructing the code took much longer on the small contraption than it would have normal keyboard.

Ari paused and physically listened for any change in atmosphere. If Farris had noticed, she was sure to hear him curse from the cockpit.

... nothing.

She went back to the connection and began to search for ZIG. What would have taken hours, took moments.

ZIG: Do you know how many people are looking for you? I have intercepted so many transmissions about you it's remarkable the political factions haven't reprimanded the Commander for her unauthorized search of a single minor.

ARI: Did you actually write GOTCHA?

ZIG: My burst of code alerted me the instant you gained access. Why did you wait so long to open it? I've been searching for weeks.

ARI: That burst of code drained what little power the shuttle had to keep me alive.

ZIG: Well then you're welcome I got to you in time. I see you're constantly moving, so that ship picked you up.

ARI: You sent FARRIS?

ZIG: Is that his name? He jams all comm's so I put your ship directly in his navigation. You're just lucky he had docking attachment on board.

ARI: He's insane!

ZIG: As are most heroes. Do you know where you are? This signal is annoyingly scrambled.

ARI: I did get some coordinates when he let me fly.

ZIG: You were flying?

ARI: It was amazing!

She typed in the obscure numbers, but she had to admit she didn't quite understand them.

ARI: I know we're headed to a trade yard on Melvin. But he keeps taking detours to avoid other ships.

ZIG: He's got a lot of people to avoid, they're all out looking for you!

ARI: If you get those numbers to General Bishop do you think you can get him to stop getting in the way. The sooner we can get to Melvin the sooner I can get off this thing.

ZIG: ...

ARI: ZIG?

ZIG: ...

ARI: I know you're still there, what's wrong?

ZIG: One of the first messages I intercepted when I started searching for you. The General knew you were on Midway. He authorized your arrest and return to Meckam.

An image of the official request, complete with Ari's two year previous photograph appeared on the screen. Complete with General Clint Bishop's signature. She let the personal drop into her lap. As her mind raced around those moments on Midway. She had been so scared and confused, but sure, that if her uncle were there he would have saved her.

Apparently she was wrong.

ZIG: Are you sure you want me to tell him where to find you?

Ari didn't know what she wanted now, but she could handle uncle Clint better than Farris' alter egos.

ARI: ... Yes. I need a path cleared to Melvin. I don't know how long this guy will be able to keep me alive.

Her stomach growled.

ARI: Besides, I'm starving. I'm living on one meal a day!

ZIG: I'll try to clear your path to Melvin. If you can, contact me again when you land.

The high feminine voice echoed as it approached on the platform above. She was talking to the other two voices with distinct disappointment.

Without notice, Ari cut contact and shut down her device. Holding it close to her chest she listened as the voices got close enough to understand. And as expected the other two did not agree with Farris allowing Ari to fly their ship. Farris on the other hand surprised Ari.

"She's not that bad, and she's been quiet enough we actually forgot she was on board!" He shuffled something on the platform above her. "You two are just going to have to relax for a while. We'll get her off and everything will go back to normal."

Several disagreeing sounds echoed as they again walked farther away from the Cargo area. Ari glanced down at her personal, she didn't want to risk another connection. She would just have to get more details before reaching out to ZIG again.

During the coming days Ari didn't want to think about what Uncle Clint may have been thinking. The possibilities were never very comforting. She would wander up to the flight deck and watch Farris. On two occasions he allowed her to take the helm again. She loved the feeling of freedom and found it to be a safe conversation topic with the man.

One day as she checked his navigation system, carefully marking down the pattern of the stars that put them somewhere below the southern hemisphere of C.E. Melvin's solar system, she spotted something odd approaching from behind.

"Farris? Do you see that?" She asked, its flight pattern was inconsistent, no where similar to debris.

"Out!" He ordered. Ari began to protest, she merely wanted to know what it was, not give up on the short flight time she'd had. He barked out to her again and she reluctantly obeyed. Muttering her displeasure as she took position holding the strap above her head.

Farris slipped into his seat, belted quickly across his chest and his hands flew over the controls. His abrupt change in direction gave Ari appreciation she was holding the leather strap. Her body whipped to one side. The odd blip followed for a short stent but within a few clicks they were gone. Their course had changed by several stars but Farris appeared to relax.

"What is that?"

He flipped a few more control and swallowed before answered, "People. Go get some rest, we'll have a view of Melvin in 24 hours."

Careful not to push her luck, Ari did as he suggested. She collected what little belongings she had curled up in a ball and fell asleep.

A few hours later she woke to the sound of the Farris' rummaging around for food. Avoiding them Ari slipped back into the cockpit to see an enormous blue and green planet looming in the picture window.

She tried to remember the one time she'd been on a planet. She had been so young the images in her memory were very faint but something inside her told her it was just beautiful as the one before her.

"She's in here." The Low voice said from doorway behind her. Ari twisted her lips up into a smile.

"Just admiring the planet. Is that really Melvin?" She asked unsure who was asking. With a grunt he pushed past Ari to take the seat. "I see most of the traffic is on the left side of the planet. Is that where we're landing?"

"No." Farris answered. He took the helm and turned toward one of the dark moons not far off.

Right, no people. Ari thought as Farris gradually took them in.