Alone Together {13}

Start from the beginning

I reached out, placing my hand on his head like Alexis always did, hoping it would calm him. But I wasn't Alexis, and Micah's tears flowed harder as he flinched away again.

The front door opened, nearly hitting me. Alexis and Ace came into the house together, looking tired. Ace smelled like a mixture of foods.

"Micah," Alexis said in concern, holding his arms out.

The little boy flung himself into them, and snuggled against Alexis as Alexis stroked his hair. He stood up with Micah in his arms.

"Shhh, I'm home," he soothed. "You must be tired, huh? Let's get you to bed."

"Stop leaving," Micah whispered, gripping tiny fistfuls of Alexis's shirt.

Alexis looked torn. "I'm sorry, Micah. But you know I have to work."

"Please stop leaving." Micah pressed his face against Alexis's shirt.

I can't believe I ever thought Alexis didn't have emotions. The storm of emotions that raged through his eyes broke my heart.

"Micah, I have to work." His voice was gentle, but final.

Jer came down the stairs. "Shut that damn kid up, Alexis. All he does is cry. It's almost as bad as when you first brought him here."

"If you don't want him to cry, don't scare him," Alexis said. He had this tone I'd picked up on lately. It sounded calm, but there was a fierce quality lashing just below the calmness. It tended to shut his friends right up.

Jer snarled at him a little before shoving by and heading outside, papers tucked securely under his arm. Alexis leaned back a little, the sternness of his eyes dissolving into exhaustion.

"Never a dull moment in the home for broken men," Ace said, smirking.

"Go shower. You smell like a buffet," Alexis said.

"You should've seen how busy it was today. I've got ketchup in places a man should never have ketchup," Ace said.

Alexis ignored him and turned to me. "Thank you," he said. I had also learned to detect the insane amount of gratitude that came along with his thank yous. I could tell Alexis was the kind of boy who was used to doing things by himself, no matter how stressful.

"No problem. I'll see you tomorrow," I said. He had sent me his schedule for the week, reminding me over and over again that I didn't have to do this for him, that I could stop anytime I wanted. "Bye Micah."

He kept his face pressed against Alexis's shoulder. I could tell by the slowing rise and fall of his shoulders that he was falling asleep.

I left the house, keeping my head down as I passed by Jer. He was sitting outside, working on some papers. He seemed content to ignore me as well.

I drove myself home, heading inside. My parents looked up at me as I passed through the living room.

"How was the babysitting?" my dad asked. I had explained to my parents why I was watching Micah so much for free. My dad had taken pity and encouraged me to keep it up, since he was so fond of Christian.

"It was good. He gets cranky when he's tired," I said. "But he's a good kid."

"You got cranky when you were a tired 5 year old," mom said. "I remember one time I came home and was afraid your babysitter was going to quit on the spot, you were so bad that night."

Alone Together [boyxboy]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara