iii. the dream

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧    ✦  ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

PRESENT TIME

It was JJ who saw her first. He had stumbled in the sand and would have dumped the bucket of crawdads had it not been for John B's grabbing him. The two bickered with each other when a soft giggle cut through the air; JJ was convinced she wasn't confirmed until John B gasped in surprise. JJ wasn't religious, far from it, but he swore he was looking at an angel.

"Are you okay?" She asked from her place in the sand. Her yellow sundress rippled in the wind as she turned to them. JJ watched as she shoved her blonde hair over her shoulder, and he fought the urge to reach out and help her. His fingers twitched when she huffed out in defeat, allowing her hair to fly around her face.

He had noticed her in a similar dress several weeks back but in a shade of blue. He had been mesmerized by her beauty, and he had vaguely heard her speaking of turtles to Ward Cameron, her father. JJ would forever deny it, but he may have claimed turtles as his new favorite animal after. If John B noticed he had begun to watch turtle documentaries, he wouldn't say a word.

"Oh, yeah. Totally. That was nothing." JJ spoke as he pointed to the sand with a flustered face. He was so embarrassed. "You're beautiful." JJ stuttered out as John B nodded rapidly.

"Thank you. I got it from my mommy." She spoke softly, and John B scratched the back of his neck with a nervous smile. The Cameron woman was a sensitive subject; the family felt her absence heavily.

"Do you know how to fish?" John B blurted out, and JJ sent him a skeptical look before stomping on the boy's foot; John B hissed quietly and shot his friend a dirty look. Neither knew how to talk to girls properly, but JJ was sure this wasn't how to do so. And he refused to admit that he was jealous; he liked her first and knew John B would be the better choice.

"My daddy says it's not safe. But I want to learn. It looks like so much fun!" She exclaimed with a blinding smile. JJ knew right then that no one would ever compare to her.

Scarlett gasped awake as she sat up in her bed, her sheets sticking to her skin uncomfortably from the sweat and her heart beating so erratically she was nearly worried it would explode within her. Scarlett struggled with the comforter and huffed when she tripped out of bed, her foot caught up in the fabric. Frowning, she grabbed some clothes to shower and change quickly; she was confused and beyond annoyed. It was one morning, yet the dream weighed heavily on her mind. She knew them, the two boys from her dream. She didn't know their names, and with each second that passed, she forgot what they had looked like. It was unfortunate, but her brain injury not only made remembering hard but also retaining information. She had to work harder than the average person even to remember a conversation she had the day before.