Act Five: Loose Strings Attached: Part Three

Start from the beginning

"Damnit." I muttered, turning on the water in the sink and splashing her face with cold water. She didn't wake up, probably from a combination of her not sleeping for several days and not eating.

"Is she okay?" Rin called.

"Y-yeah she's fine!" I called back, still trying to wake her up. In the end it was proven impossible, so I got some ice and placed it on her to calm the swelling on her cheek. Then I cleaned up the cut on her eyebrow and brought her back to Rin and Yukio. Yukio raised his eyebrow with confusion.

"Is she okay?"

"Yeah, she just fell. She's sleeping." I promised. For the rest of the time there she continued to sleep until I finally took her home. Mom didn't question why she was passed out, she was just happy she was actually sleeping. I put her to bed before I myself fell asleep at my own bed.

~*~*~*~Time Skip- One Day Later~*~*~*~

"Alright everyone." Yukio said, clapping his hands for quiet. We were all gathered in front of the door to the Cram School classroom, waiting for another mission to be detailed. Everyone was here and ready for the mission after a whole week without one. Unfortunately I had to bring Aaushi because I couldn't break to her that she wouldn't be able to go in her state. She didn't even remember her Cram School classes, let alone how to shoot a gun.

"Today I will be bringing you all, by key, to a mission regarding Hellhounds. Now, can anyone explain what a Hellhound is?" Kamiki raised her hand and Yukio nodded.

"A Hellhound is a dog possessed by a demon and used to eat humans, other demons or large animals. They travel in packs and are very strong when together in a group."

"Excellent. There have been reports of Hellhounds in a small canyon in southwest Japan, so I will bring you there and brief you up on what your tasks are."

"Why is Aaushi here?" Bon grunted, nodding at her. Aaushi pouted.

"Yeah, she can't even hold a gun let alone shoot one." Shima frowned.

"I could shoot a gun!" Aaushi complained. Yukio raised his eyebrow.

"Alright. Tori, do you have her gun?" I always kept it with me, since I knew Aaushi cared about it so much. I nodded and removed the holster from my side and gave it to Yukio, who checked the gun for bullets before giving it to Aaushi.

"Can you shoot that window allll the way down that hallway?" He pointed to the window on the complete other side of the hallway, probably twenty or twenty-five feet away. Aaushi seemed to shift the gun in her hand, as if getting used to the feel of it before raising it in front of her, perfectly stanced and taking a single shot. It panged through the window and shattered the glass, and that was with one single bullet. Everyone but Bon and Shima looked unsurprised, having already known and remembered how good of a gunshooter she was. Aaushi smiled and turned back to Yukio.

"I guess that's that, then." Yukio said, and I swear I almost saw him smile. He turned around and inserted a key into the door before pushing it open. When it did, a wide stretch of desert stretched before us, and it seemed like we were surrounded by high walls that stretched forward and deeper into the canyon. We all entered the door and looked around. It looked like any old desert, but the canyon seemed to have a sort of chill that comes with a place demons inhabit.

"Alright, here's the plan. I want Shiemi and Kamiki on the left side of the canyon to call their familiars to attack the Hellhounds when we lure them out. Bon and Konekomaru will stand here in front of the door, chanting sutras of protection and trying to find their death verse. Shima, Aaushi and I will be on the right side of the canyon, shooting and fighting the Hellhounds when they appear."