Chapter 1: Saturday 15th June 2013

Saturday 22nd June 2013: 00:33AM

Echo. Echo is quite the town. Most of my life I spent in Payton, the sibling town of Echo, one would perhaps call it.

Echo is rather infamous for it's shrouded mysteries and rumours. Supernatural sightings, cult-like serial killing, the Lake Emma incident, just to name a few.

My preferred take on on these beliefs based around the town are rooted superstition, besides the Lake Emma incident. Only the theories in regards to what happened to that kid I dismiss as total poppycock. A kid drowned almost a decade ago, and people had the audacity to excuse it as "supernatural force".

I had no belief in the supernatural force that surrounded Echo... until this week. Everything I've seen, felt and experienced in the brief seven days of this town changed my outlook and trajectory on life. Who knew I would wind up in a mess such as this? All I was supposed to do was drive to Payton for business purposes, until I broke down in the middle of Echo... and things got ugly quickly when I met him.

Leo. Leo Alvarez. A mad man. Sick. Not as sick as some of the other residents in this cess pool of a so-called town. But he was poisoned with this belief that I was his one and only, his missing piece. Mind you I had only just met him a week ago, he was supposed to fix my car when I broke down. And in the meantime of the reparation, he roped me in to hang out with him, and that's where things automatically went downhill from there.

So as of now I'm in his house, with a gun, in the middle of a night. Waiting for him to give up turning this place upside down and search the town instead.

- 1 WEEK EARLIER-

It was Saturday the 15th of June. 2013. I'm currently on my way to Payton. I refuse to go on the highway due to time management purposes. The motorway was crammed, and it wasn't good for me in this weather, us otters don't do so well in dry and hot enviroments. I did bring more water bottles than I needed to, but I was worried that if I was to go through the motorway and was caught in the traffic, I feared I'd eventually run out of water bottles. I also want to get to Payton as quick as I can, this car journey has been a total bitch so far. 

I decided to take a detour, however my path of choice would lead me into the town of Echo. I haven't heard the best things about that town throughout my years in high school in Payton, Afterall half the school was kids from Echo, and were targets for all sorts of genres conducted at rumour mill. The most common rumour was about how Echo was haunted and somewhat distorted cult killings would take place. I took it all with a grain of salt even if I didn't live in Echo. At the time it was highschool, people did that. 

I drove past the motorway taking a backroad with the road sign detailing that Echo was only 30 miles from where I was currently. 

The scenary that was surrounding the road ahead was almost looped. I was starting to wonder after sometime if I was passing through some wormhole. It was the same thing. Cacti. dry dusted deserts, all throughout the drive. Eventually i passed a road sign yet the scenary made no change. "Welcome to Echo." 

I was driving past red cliffs and less cacti. I was slowly approaching the town, getting closer to Payton, until I felt something. Goosebumps tinkering the back of my neck, which rested against the head of the car seat. Something black flashed past the window making me pull the emergency break, causing the car to come to a sharp halt. A part of me wanted to investiage what it was that flashed my back window, but at the same time, I just wanted to get to Payton. 

I started the car up again after taking a drink and a few deep breathes, starting my journey once again. But that didn't last long. The car came to an automatic stop when I reached the tongue of the road, that was the town's entrance. With whatever the car had left, I steered to the right pulling over on the side of the road to make way for anyone heading towards Echo, not that there would be anyway. This place was almost like a ghost town even from afar.