Chapter 9: Psychological Warfare

Start from the beginning

╚»★«╝ • ╚»★«╝ ╚»★«╝ • ╚»★«╝

Maria took the group of four to a secret facility. The place was deep in the woods and resembled an abandoned hydro dam.

When they arrived, Adeline was still deep in her thoughts, and every move she made was done on autopilot. She followed the adults inside the facility, and they were welcomed by a doctor running towards them.

"GSW. She's lost at least a pint," Maria informed him.

"Maybe two," Sam added.

The doctor approached Nat and applied pressure to the bullet wound. "Let me take her."

"She'll want to see him first," Maria stated, making Adeline frown. She continued walking behind Maria, hoping that the woman would give more insight into what she had just said, but she remained quiet.

The agent guided them to a more secluded room and lifted the plastic flaps in the doorway. Adeline almost gasped at the sight.

Fury was lying in a hospital bed with a few wires attached to him. Though, the main thing that was different about him, was that he looked much more alive than the last time they had seen him.

"About damn time," Fury addressed them.

The doctor started taking care of Natasha's bullet wound as Fury explained how he was still alive. Adeline stood on her father's right, a few steps behind him. Her arms were crossed over her chest and her spine was rigid.

"Lacerated spinal column, cracked sternum, shattered collarbone, perforated liver, one hell of a headache." Nick listed his many injuries.

"Don't forget your collapsed lung." The doctor added.

"Oh, let's not forget that," Fury answered in a tired voice. "Otherwise, I'm good."

Natasha winced as the doctor applied pressure on her shoulder. "They cut you open, your heart stopped."

"Tetrodotoxin B. Slows the pulse to one beat a minute. Banner developed it for stress. Didn't work so great for him, but we found a use for it." He revealed.

"Why all the secrecy? Why not just tell us?" Steve asked.

"Any attempt on the director's life had to look successful," Maria answered.

"Can't kill you if you're already dead," Fury stated and Adeline fought the urge to scoff. "Besides, I wasn't sure who to trust."

╚»★«╝ • ╚»★«╝ ╚»★«╝ • ╚»★«╝

Bucky fell off a train. White mountains and crimson snow. The man on the bridge couldn't save him. "Bucky, no!"

Some people helped him... No, they took him. Bucky remembered. "The procedure has already started."

New arm, new enemies. No control, no freedom. "You are to be the new fist of Hydra."

Cold stone floors. Walls littered with cracks. Rusted metal door locked and guarded. Pained screams echoed through the room.

A little girl he wanted to protect. A little girl who looked just like the man on the bridge. A little girl he helped escape. Bucky remembered. He paid the price and was put in ice.

The agent who had been fixing Bucky's metal arm was harshly pushed to the ground, knocking over the tool tray. Another agent pointed his gun at Bucky's head to stop him from attacking anyone else.