"Sapphire," Bella shouted.

"Call someone," I said to Bella as I tried to push the curtains away but failed.

I looked around to find another exit but as far as I could see, there was fire. I found a spot which was still not ablaze, and screamed at the top of my lungs.

Due to smoke, I had to put so much effort in breathing but it felt like all the oxygen was used up now. Any minute, this spot will also catch fire and I'll die. Everything around me had burnt and I was the next.

My vision blurred due to watering from my eyes. My skin burnt as a result of the heat. The loss of oxygen was now affecting my brain and I could feel my consciousness decreasing with every passing second.

That was not how I was supposed to die.

"Sapphire," A masculine voice called my name while I felt pounding on the door. Maybe I was hallucinating. Maybe I was dying.

I sat down on the floor and closed my eyes, to stop seeing the fire that was supposed to kill me.

"You win, Atticus West." I whispered as I hugged my knees, my head rotating.

"Sapphire," the door to my room shot open. I lifted my head to watch Connor as he attempted to enter the room through the fire. "Come here." he shouted.

I tired to get up, but I couldn't.

"Sapphire, get up." he said as he tried to make a way for him. He used a stuck to move away the burning carpet to make space for walking inside. That was the last thing I saw before darkness enveloped me.

°°°°°

When I finally opened my eyes, all I could see was white. Maybe I was dead; maybe I was in heaven.

As I squinted and could see better, I realised that I was in a hospital bed and my eyes were focused on a light source. I looked around, only to find myself alone. I tried to wake up, without disturbing the IV line but my body felt too tired to do so.

"You're awake." I heard Connor's voice. He was entering the room with a flower bouquet in his hands.

"The doctor said you are fine. You just have few superficial burns but your airway is fine and you can be discharged after a day. Hope the painkillers are working." he said as he effortlessly move around me to place the flowers near my bed and the fruit juice on the table beside me.

"Where is Bella?" I asked as he helped me in sitting up.

"She is in another room. She had some mild injuries on her leg but thankfully, no burns or fracture." he told me as he seated himself beside me.

"How about her house?" I asked in concern.

"Well, it will take some days to renovate it. But I have asked her. You both are staying at my house until that place is suitable." he said.

"You don't have to do that. I'll find some hotel." I replied.

"Why? Friends help each other in difficult situations." he said and placed her hand on top of mine, just beside the IV line. His warm green eyes stared into mine and I felt myself losing in them. "So tell me, do you consider me your friend?"

"Yes. But-"

"Not if or buts." he said and I figured it would be better not to argue.

"Thanks for saving my life." I said as I remembered how he was the first one to reach inside. I owe him my life because if it was not for him, I would have been ashes by now.

"Well, Bella told me how you saved her." he commented.

"She is my friend. Of course, I would have done anything to save her." I replied.

"And you're my friend so I rest my case." he smiled smugly and I smiled in response too. "Besides, it looked like the fire wasn't there to kill you. It had spreaded everywhere except where you were lying."

"Fate," I chuckled.

"Take care." he stood up to leave. "If you get bored, read this." he pointed towards a book that he probably brought for me.

"You're leaving?" I asked, feeling sad all of sudden. There was something about his presence which eased my mind and relieved me of the dreadful thoughts. I wish he could stay here with me.

"Yep, need to make some arrangements so you both can move in." he answered. "Don't worry, I'll be back with some food."

After he left, I rested my head back and closed my eyes. The fire appeared in my memory and I clenched my eyes harder. What if Connor hadn't reached in time? I would be dead within a second. Just like that.

But would dying be such a bad thing? He won't stop until I was dead so what was the point in trying? Isn't it better if I die? For me and everyone around me.

I stood up gathering my courage to walk into Bella's room to see her. I also needed to apologize to her for putting her life in danger.

______________________