III. CHAPTER THREE

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞; act one

───────────

     IN THE FEW DAYS SINCE ARRIVING IN DRAGONSTONE, NYMERIA STARK HAD ALREADY BEEN APPOINTED A SWORN PROTECTOR BY THE NAME OF SER VORIAN DALT. The Dornish guard was her shadow, much like that of Lady Erena, wherever Nymeria walked, they followed. Most of the time, she enjoyed the company, favored it over talking to her betrothed (which was awkward, to say the least), but there were other instances where Nymeria Stark simply wished to be alone.

  Times whenever she would wander the corridors of the Dragonstone library, plucking a book from the shelves that simply reminded her of home. Times when she sat on the balcony of her bed chambers, eyes burning with tears as she stared at the moon, a small part of her praying her mother and father could see her — could save her. The times when she scooped up Kalea and found herself walking across the sands of the beach, and then in those times, would eventually find herself collapsed in the sand, screaming out to a God she had yet to believe in.

  There were times when Nymeria Stark simply wished to be alone, to fight the war brewing inside of her young mind.

  And then there were times where the girl yearned for the comfort of a mother, in those times, she would seek out Lady Erena or even Princess Rhaenyra. Though for each motherly figure inside of Nymeria's life, the hole inside of her heart seemed to grow larger. The gaping hole that yearned for her own mother, her dead mother.

  Ser Vorian followed closely behind the seven-year-old girl as she walked through Dragonstone's halls, eventually finding herself in the library. Nymeria sighed as she entered the large, dimly lit, library of Dragonstone, her footsteps instantly taking her to the shelf she oft found herself indulged in — the History of the North.

  To Nymeria, the book held a sense of comfort no one in Dragonstone could offer. It brought her back to the snow covered lands of Winterfell, it took her back to the times when she would sit with her mother practicing needlework, reading on the history of Westeros, or even learning to write. It took Nymeria back to a short period of time where her family had been a family.

  Nymeria soon found herself curled into a small, cushiony chair, a dimly lit candle by her side as she read the words scribbled across the pages. She could feel Ser Vorian's eyes on her at all times, sometimes, Nymeria compared him to an overbearing shadow, but nonetheless, the Stark girl appreciated his protection — sometimes.

  The sun had begun setting when Nymeria grew aware of the time, her eyes had moved on their own, reading lines after lines of the great book in her lap, reminiscing over every memory she had of the North — memories she feared she would soon forget.

  "The hour is rather late, My Lady." Ser Vorian informed, in the long hours of her reading, the knight had not once moved. He stood like a dutiful statue, his hawk-like eyes watching the room, "Lady Erena will grow worried as will Princess Rhaenyra."

  Nymeria looked up at him before turning back to the book in her hands, "Five more minutes?" Nymeria questioned softly, big, brown puppy eyes staring up at Ser Vorian.

  Ser Vorian sighed, but the smallest of smiles broke out onto his usually stoic face, "Five minutes, My Lady, and then we must get you to your bed chambers."

  Nymeria's face broke out into a large smile, and she resisted the urge to jump up and hug her sworn protector, "Thank you, Ser Vorian, truly!"

  "Of course, My Lady."

  In that moment, without the knowledge of Nymeria, Ser Vorian had remembered his late daughter.

───────────

     The table was as happy as ever as the family on Dragonstone broke their fast. Lucerys sat beside Rhaenyra, his tiny fingers grabbing at her food, claiming it to be better than his own. Jacaerys sat beside Nymeria, which was rather awkward, but they made conversation here and there. Laenor held Joffrey on his lap like usual, waving off any wet-nurse who attempted to offer any help. Lady Erena had been allowed to join, taking her place on the other side of Nymeria. Ser Vorian and the other knights stood on the inside and outside of the doorway.

  Jacaerys turned to Nymeria suddenly, his curious brown eyes peering into hers, "Do you enjoy reading?"

  Nymeria looked back at him in shock, confusion bubbling inside of her at the sudden question because while she spent time in the library of Dragonstone constantly, she did not know that Jacaerys knew of that, "Yes, I do, Your Grace."

  "My name is Jacaerys, please use it." His brown eyes held a fondness that Nymeria had yet to be introduced to, looking at her with a small smile as he spoke in the same gentle tone his mother used.

  "If you wish it, Jacaerys," The name felt foreign in Nymeria's mouth, but she used it nonetheless, simply wishing for her soon-to-be husband to be pleased with her (though years would prove that Nymeria had no reason to be worried for Jacaerys was the greatest husband in Westeros), "Now, Jacaerys, how did you know I enjoyed reading?"

  The Velaryon Prince paused his movements, face growing a hue of red as his eyes darted around his plate, avoiding that of Nymeria's, "Well. . . I, uh, I saw you entering the library yesterday." He admitted quietly, shame bubbling inside of his brown eyes.

  Nymeria frowned in confusion as she spotted the shame written on his face. For she had not the slightest understanding as to why he felt ashamed to have spotted her entering the library, it wasn't a secret, in fact, "Twas not a secret, Jacaerys, there is no need for shame." The Stark girl whispered softly.

  Unbeknownst to the pair, Rhaenyra sat back with a soft smile, her eyes crinkling at the sides as she watched Jacaerys slowly come out from his anxious shell. She was his mother, after all, she could spot the way his eyes held fondness for his betrothed, the way his face glowed a shade of red that only came when he messed up his High Valyrian.

  As her violet eyes focused on the pair, her eyes began to burn of the memory of Ser Harwin Strong. 

─── NOTE ;
rhaenyra seeing her and harwin
in jace and nymeria breaks my
heart 😭😭

ser vorian and lady erena are literally
some of my fav side ocs tbh