VI. CHAPTER SIX

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐢𝐱 ; act two

───────────

     FIVE YEARS HAD PAST SINCE THE INCIDENT THAT OCCURED ON DRIFTMARK. Nymeria now stood at five and ten as well as Jacaerys, Lucerys stood at three and ten, Joffrey at six, Baela and Rhaena stood at the same age as Nymeria and Jacaerys.

  Now, five years later, a union of ice and fire would be made.

  Lady Erena's fingers were rough as she tugged on Nymeria's hair, putting it into intricate braids. Nymeria watched the older woman closely through the mirror in front of her, her ringed fingers placed on her lap delicately. Her nerves had been spiked since she awoke on the morrow and was immediately forced into a chair to be fussed over.

  "You are messing with your rings again, Nymeria," Lady Erena commented, giving the young girl a knowing look, "Do not fret, Prince Jacaerys has proved to be an excellent man. He will cherish you."

  Nymeria smiled softly, cheeks heating up, "Jace is a wonderful man." The Stark girl agreed.

  Throughout her years on Dragonstone, Nymeria and Jacaerys had grown closer — especially after Driftmark — and now, the two couldn't seem to be separated. Their favorite spot had been the library, together they studied High Valyrian, mainly Jacaerys, and they touched on all of the histories of Westeros. Nymeria had weaseled her way into learning sword-fighting as well, mainly by begging Ser Vorian for days on end. Jacaerys often brought Nymeria to the Dragonpit as well, showing off Vermax with pride, and Nymeria did the same with Kalea.

  Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen had truly raised her sons in an excellent way.

  Lady Erena smiled softly, bringing her head down to rest on Nymeria's shoulder, their cheeks pressing together, "Your mother would be proud, Nymeria." She whispered, "So proud."

  Tears brimmed in the teenager's eyes, her lip wobbling as she stared back at Lady Erena, "I like to believe she's always with me," A sad smile formed on her face as a stray tear ran down her face, "Watching over me, protecting me. . . I just wish she was here. Not in my imagination."

  Lady Erena sighed softly, her hands tightening on Nymeria's shoulders with a sad smile, "Lady Gilliane is always with you," The older woman spoke, wistfully, "Wherever you go, your mother is always going to be with you. She will always be protecting you, even if you cannot see her." Her hands had gone back to braiding Nymeria's hair, though, less harshly than before.

  Nymeria's lips pulled into a tight smile, eyes glancing down at her fingers. When the news broke of her and Jacaerys' wedding day, Cregan had sent a raven with a ring, and a letter had been attached as well. The ring that Nymeria now wore on her ring finger had once belonged to their mother, and as of now, the only reminder of her mother besides her memories.