9 | September: The Date

Comincia dall'inizio

Heat flooded to my cheeks as I refocused my gaze upwards where it belonged. "Sorry. But my point still stands; why are you defending her?"

"I'm not, I just know how she gets. She's never been one to act on those threats," he said.

"Maybe not, but it doesn't mean she won't." I sighed. "A lioness does whatever she must to protect her cub."

Braden took a step forward. "And the king of the jungle defends his woman's honor." He tilted my chin up with one finger so I had no choice but to stare into those deep pools of blue. "We can figure out a way to make this work."

"I wish...if things were different, if I wasn't your daughter's teacher, then maybe we'd have an actual chance. Because I really do like you, Braden." I pushed off of his chest.

He brushed his fingers over my arm, catching my hand in his. "Amelia, we've played this game before. We've tried not dating, we've tried to be friends. None of it is working. Is it working for you?"

I didn't dignify that with a response, and he took my silence as expected.

"We work well together. And you had no idea Lucy would be in your class when we met. Why punish ourselves for that?"

If the school found out...

Then my phone buzzed. Fishing it out of my pocket, a text glowered at me from the screen.

Goddamn it, Amelia Louise Lawrence. If you don't say yes to him right now I will come out there and do it myself.

Well, clearly there was only one choice. Even though he hadn't asked me anything yet.

"Come to my place tomorrow night?" he suggested. "I'll cook for you. Lucy is at her mom's so we don't have to worry about any interruptions. Please?"

Alone together and a homemade meal? That could be a very dangerous combination. On two very opposing fronts.

I looked up at him, my gaze scanning over his hypnotic blue eyes as his thumb drew circles on the back of my hand. A new wave of confidence flowed over me as if washing me anew. "Okay. One night."

Braden grinned. "Great! I'll pick you up at seven-thirty and I'll make my famous chicken enchiladas."

"I can't wait," I replied, and it surprised me that I actually meant it.

***

I never thought I'd be so nervous to go on a date with a cute guy. Then again, I never expected to be going out with the parent of one of my students. Especially after telling myself how much I would regret dismissing the rules like this.

"I shouldn't be doing this," I said as Eloise finished styling my hair the next evening.

"Yes, you should." Eloise spun me around and planted her hands on my shoulders. "He's hot and single, and so are you. So what if he has a kid? If you like each other, take your shot. Plus, he's got some making up to do for the fact that he kept the kid a secret."

I sighed. "It's not that simple, El. In fact, it's extremely complicated."

"It's not supposed to be simple, Ames." She dug around in her vanity and pulled out a pink tube. "Here—best liquid lip on the planet. And kiss proof."

"Thanks." I twisted the cap off and pulled out the applicator.

Eloise crossed her legs beneath her on her bed. "Promise me you'll have fun tonight?"

I glanced at my sister. For someone as carefree and adventurous as she was, her attitude toward love—the real one, not the one she showed to her barhopping friends—was always one of caution and optimism.