~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 13 ~

Start from the beginning

Hare looked at Fjord. He was getting ready to shoot out a blast of it. Clay looked back right as it shot out of Fjord's mouth. Clay ducked and rolled out of the way, but Hare saw that part of it still caught the tip of his wing. As Clay got back up, Fjord prepared to shoot out another blast of frostbreath.

Clay was quicker and shot a blast of fire into the IceWing's mouth. Fjord jerked back and scrambled across the sand. He was shaking his head and batting at his mouth with his talon. His chilly scales seemed to ease the pain quickly, but Fjord looked angrier than before.

Clay opened his mouth to say something, but Fjord interrupted him. He charged across the sand and leaped at Clay with outstretched talons. Clay wasn't able to move quickly enough to dodge the attack. Fjord raked his claws across the side of Clay's face. As the IceWing whirled around, his whip-thin tail smacked across Clay's snout. Clay stumbled, blinking. After a few moments, he attacked.

Clay raised his talon, then brought it down and scratched Fjord's neck. Fjord roared with pain as the wound on his neck began to bleed again. The dried blood was soon covered with fresh blood.

Clay prepared to attack again, but Fjord recovered and lunged at Clay. The battling dragons rolled over each other in the sand, landing with Fjord towering over Clay. Clay kicked Fjord's underbelly with his back talons.

Fjord rolled backward and made an oof sound.

"One of you kill the other before I come down there and kill you myself!" Fire roared.

"Slit his throat!" someone else cried.

"Tear his belly open!"

Fjord moved quicker than lightning. He barrelled into Clay and pinned him down again, holding
Clay's back legs down with his own. Fjord placed his talon on Clay's throat.

No!

Hare forced herself not to leap down and help. Clay would get out of this. He had to.

But it didn't look like her friend would survive. Clay was gasping for air and she could see Fjord's claws digging deeper into Clay's neck, drawing blood.

I have to do something. I can't let my friend die, especially not because of me.

"Let him go!"

The screech came from above. Hare looked up. Tsunami was thrashing around, held up by the wires that kept her held prisoner. The other prisoners were struggling to hold onto their prisons. "Don't hurt him!" Tsunami roared.

"That idiot SeaWing!" Fire snarled.

"Get up there!" Queen Scarlet ordered, and all guards that were nearby flew into the sky, Fire in the lead.

Clay looked conflicted as everyone grew distracted, including his opponent.

"Kill him!" Hare cried. "Clay, kill him!"

Fjord suddenly looked away from the commotion, but his attention wasn't focused on Clay. It was focused on her. He looked... hurt.

Hare didn't have much time to think about it. A small jet of black droplets suddenly hit Fjord's neck and the side of his face. A few droplets splashed down and hit Clay, landing on his chest and right below his eye. A few seconds of silence passed. Fjord reached up to where the droplets had hit him. The moment he reached them, he pulled away and howled in pain. His scales were beginning to melt. Clay's screech of agony followed.

Hare instantly shot down from the balcony. "Clay!"

She landed at her friend's side and held his head in her talons. He writhed and screeched below her. Fjord had stumbled off of him and was screaming. His talons covered his face and he was hunched over. Hare could see his face melting below his talons, reminding her of the rainforest she'd seen in her dreams. She forced herself to look away and down at Clay. His scales weren't melting as bad, but he was clearly in pain and his scales were still melting a little.

Hare yelled out instinctively. "Rose!" she cried desperately, even though she knew the light pink SkyWing wouldn't respond. She was probably wherever she was being kept prisoner, or she was taking care of Hvitur. "Rose! Rose, help!"

"Help me!" Clay screamed. "Help!"

Hare looked up, desperate for someone to do something.

Queen Scarlet looked pleased.

Glory was asleep.

Peril looked frightened.

Ruby's expression was unreadable.

Vermillion was smiling cruelly.

Copper looked beyond horrified.

"Do something!" Hare screeched. "He needs help!" She looked over at Fjord, who's screams were beginning to die down. She felt her stomach twist as she realized what that meant. "They both do. Don't just sit there, do something!"

Nobody moved. Hare stared at Copper, who looked frozen in fear. Copper, please! Peril? One of you! Even you, Ruby. Somebody! She kept herself from crying out the words. She'd just be wasting her breath.

Fjord's screams suddenly stopped and she heard something thump against the sand. He's dead.

Clay screams were still very much there. Hare was extremely grateful for that, no matter how awful they were.

Queen Scarlet flicked her wing. "Bring him back to his prison," she told her guards.

Hare looked up in surprise as guards began flying down to collect her friend. "What? No! He needs help!"

"He's a prisoner," one of the guards said. "He doesn't get treatment."

"Hvitur does," Hare cried. The SkyWings ignored her. They pulled her screaming friend away from her and brought him back to one of the empty columns. A few other guards pulled Fjord's body out of the arena.

Hare looked up at Queen Scarlet. She clapped her talons together in delight.

"How wonderfully thrilling," she chirped. "I told you all today would be exciting, and our combatants didn't disappoint!"

Hare dug her claws into the ground. It took every bit of control she had to stop herself from lunging at the queen and attacking her. How could her mother have allied with such a horrible dragon? Was her mother really as awful as this?

Hare's thoughts went back to the rainforest. The dragons there were wicked and cruel. Death was their entertainment. If anyone belonged there, it was Scarlet.

If I could, I'd put you there myself.