~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 10 ~

Почніть із самого початку

Hare bristled at his comment and turned her head to glare at him. "What's that supposed to mean?" she hissed.

Copper met her gaze calmly. "Everyone knows how Burn is a bloodthirsty dragon," he said. "It's no secret. She loves war, she loves battle. Anything that involves blood or death, or both, she loves it."

Hare bared her teeth in a snarl, though she couldn't fight back the panic that was beginning to bubble inside her. Was her mother really that bad? Would she end up being the kind of dragon Hare hated? Would she regret meeting her?

"She can't be all that bad," Hare snapped at Copper. "You talk like she has no good qualities at all."

"I never said she didn't have good qualities," Copper told her. "Every dragon has good qualities. Burn's a strong fighter, and she's a good ally. She must have some other redeeming qualities that made my mother decide to fight with her."

The look in Copper's eyes told Hare that he was thinking the same thing she was. Queen Scarlet was cruel and the things she did were sickening. It wouldn't take a lot for her to ally with someone else who was battle hungry.

Maybe my mother is horrible.

"Let's just focus on going to see Hvitur," Hare murmured, looking away from Copper. The SkyWing nodded and said no more, to Hare's relief.

They continued in silence. When they approached the healers' cavern, Hare hurried inside. She was aware of Copper picking up his pace a little behind her. The healers inside looked up as Hare and their prince entered. One of them bowed and greeted them.

"Prince Copper, Hare. It's a pleasure to see you."

"Greetings Cloud," Copper said, dipping his head a little. Hare squinted her eyes a little to get a better look at the SkyWing. Her scales were a light orange, only a little darker than the scales of a dragon she knew.

"Do you know Alder?" she blurted.

Cloud suddenly froze, looking extremely uncomfortable. "Yes," she admitted after a moment. "My sister, Fire, is his mother."

Hare tilted her head. "You almost look exactly like him."

"I wouldn't look too much into it," Cloud said, flicking her tail dismissively. "It's probably just because we're related."

Another healer stepped forward. Hare recognized him, this was the dragon who'd taken care of her when she spent a few days in the healers' cavern.

"I wasn't expecting to see you back so soon," the healer joked, looking at Hare. "Have you earned yourself another injury already?"

"Not yet, Juniper," Hare replied, unable to hide her smile. "I'm here to see Hvitur."

Juniper's face displayed pure disgust only for a moment, but long enough for Hare to catch it.

"Of course." Juniper flicked his tail. "Follow me."

The red SkyWing led them down a hall that turned at the very end and led into a little cave. An IceWing was chained up inside. He had a decent bed to lay on, and his eyes were closed. His sides rose and fell slowly as he slept. He laid on his side, exposing his wound. Hare couldn't help but pull away and shudder when she saw it. Four horribly long and deep slash marks ran along his belly. Dried blue blood was stuck to the edges and some was left where his blood had dripped.

How could I have done such a thing?

Copper, who was standing beside her, stared with a sad look in his eyes. "Poor dragon," he murmured.

Hare felt so ashamed that she had to step away from him a little. Copper noticed this and looked over at her. He opened his mouth to say something, she assumed it was to ask if she was alright. She quickly spoke before he could. "Can I have a moment alone with him?"