~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 9 ~

Start from the beginning

Peril nodded, then leaped off the balcony and flew into the sky. Hare watched as she flew up to the tall spires that the prisoners were kept on. Hare felt horrible for her friends. They were up there, on those terrifyingly tall prisons. How were they managing? Were they okay? Were they scared?

Of course they're scared, featherbrain. Hare swallowed the last few mouthfuls of her rabbit. She stayed out for a little longer, enjoying the sun.

"Hare."

Hare looked over her shoulder. A small pale orange SkyWing stood behind her. He was horribly thin and was clearly nervous. She recognized him almost right away. He was one the guards who'd brought her food. Alder.

"Queen Scarlet would like to see you," Alder explained. "In her throne room."

"Of course." Hare dipped her head and got up. When she walked past Alder, she lightly brushed his shoulder with her tail. "Thank you for letting me know."

Hare walked down the hall that led to the queen's throne room. Golden talon prints carved into the floor showed the way. She paid no mind to the busy dragons around her. She walked into Queen Scarlet's throne room. The queen sat atop her throne, which was shaped like clouds. Gold was splattered all over the room in beautiful designs. Some showed flying dragons, others showed patterns that glimmered in the sunlight. There were clouds of gold carved into the floor. Three dragons sat by Scarlet's throne. Hare recognized her children.

A pretty dark red dragon sat a little further away from the others. That was Queen Scarlet's only daughter, Princess Ruby. A bright red dragon sat the closest to his mother. That was Vermillion, Scarlet's eldest son. A young rust-colored SkyWing sat beside his brother. That was Scarlet's youngest son, he was only a year older than Hare. He looked uncomfortable, as he always did around his mother. Hare sometimes saw him shoot furious glances at his mother when she wasn't looking. That was Copper.

"Hare, you made it." Scarlet sat taller on her throne, curling her tail over the edge. "Perfect, you're just on time."

Hare blinked. "What for?"

"The arena battle," Scarlet replied.

Hare just stared at her. She didn't know Scarlet planned on bringing her to watch those. She didn't want to watch dragons fight to their death. She didn't want to see horrible, bloody scenes unfold before her.

"Our audience must be waiting." Scarlet stepped down from her throne and stretched her neck. "Come, all of you."

Vermillion walked beside Scarlet while Ruby walked behind them. Copper lowered his head and followed them a little slower. Hare walked beside him.

"Have you ever watched an arena fight?" she asked him, trying to hide her anxiety.

"Too many," Copper replied quietly. "Mother always brings us to watch them. Every. Single. One. We're there for every trial, too. She said it's good for us to watch so we know what to do when our time comes to rule, though I doubt she'll ever let that happen."

Hare tilted her head. "What do you mean?"

"Mother doesn't have many heirs," Copper explained. "She easily killed my grandmother, my aunts, and my sisters. I only saw one of the fights, and it was horribly brutal. I can't imagine how bad the others were."

"Is she going to kill Ruby?" Hare squeaked. An image of the queen killing Ruby appeared in Hare's mind, making her feel sick.

Copper shrugged. "Probably, when the time comes."

"What's going to happen when Queen Scarlet dies?" Hare asked. "She can't live forever. What if she dies without any heirs?"

"Then we'll probably end up like the SandWings," Copper replied simply.