Improving

Swords clashed, and Serene dropped to the ground to escape her opponent's steely blade. Rolling back to her feet, she drew her short sword with her left hand and waited for the next blow. It came, but stronger than she had expected. "The only way to win," she could hear Lady Nora saying in her mind, "is to be as unpredictable as your opponent is."

Just as her opponent's sword was inches from her body, she stepped to the right and darted straight for her opponent. He seemed surprised at this reckless attempt but countered it calmly.

In an instant, she turned full circle, arcing a diagonal slice toward his chest; but a dagger came into view from behind her opponent, thrust into a trajectory straight for her side. Knowing she had no time to avoid contact, she turned her back to it. Her opponent brought his blade across her back and sliced it downward, etching a clean, thin tear into her leather armor.

Inimicus smiled smugly as he brought his blade from her back, and, returning his long sword back into his right hand and his dagger into his left, he stepped into a fighting stance.

Serene's eyes flashed. She had let him fool her too easily. She had only managed to get one point of contact, while he had made contact with her twice. A total of three points was required to finish the round.

Determination rose within her. He always won; she couldn't let him defeat her again. She brought her long sword into a two-handed arc toward his arm. He deflected the blow with ease and grinned.

"You're improving," he said, sending a slice toward her abdomen.

"Thank you." She countered his blow and advanced closer to him.

"But I wouldn't expect victory if I were you." He smirked. He brought his blade down in a crosscut, forcing Serene to back a step.

"I wouldn't expect surrender if I were you," Serene retorted, dropping her short sword to grip her long sword with both hands, sending it in a powerful arc toward his left shoulder. He laughed under his breath and, sheathing his dagger with his left hand, drew his short sword with lightning speed, bringing it up just in time to deflect Serene's blow.

The strength of her slice caught him off-guard, forcing him to disengage his blade. Her sword had not been slowed, and, with a slight change in direction on her part, it brushed against his leg, scraping his leather armor.

Furious at his lack of foresight, Inimicus shot a glance toward the observing instructors thirty feet away from the duel, hoping they had missed the call. But they had not. Both Inimicus and Serene had made contact twice. Now, either one could call the match and claim victory.

Zealous from his mistake and eager for victory, Inimicus stepped forward, arcing his long blade toward her left side and sending his short sword downward toward her right shoulder. Serene lunged forward, sending her sword straight toward his abdomen to catch him off-balance and get a final point of contact before he did. He brought his blade from its trajectory toward her left shoulder and knocked her sword down toward the ground. Now, she was off-balance and, with one final maneuver, Inimicus's long sword left hers in the dust and returned to its path toward her left side. With a smile of victory, he brought both his swords together, closing in on her from both sides.

In desperation, she ducked her head, attempting to charge him, but he stepped back, ensuring that only his blades would make contact. Swordless and knowing she had no other options, Serene's arms slacked to her sides, and her eyes met her brother's. His blades slowed as they neared her and met her armor gently, signaling the end of the match and Inimicus's victory.

Inimicus sheathed his blades slowly as Serene collected her own swords from where they had fallen. He put out his hand, and Serene took it. They grasped forearms and looked each other in the eyes.