~ The Forbidden Dragonet: Chapter 3 ~

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"You're a bold little thing, aren't you?" Morrowseer commented, eyeing her. "What's your name?"

"Hare," she replied.

Morrowseer let out a small hmm before turning his attention back to her friends. His gaze settled on Sunny, who let out a small squeak and pressed herself against Clay's side.

"So we have no wings of sky," he snarled, "and we barely have the wings of sand."

"There's nothing wrong with Sunny," Tsunami snapped. "She may be a little funny-looking, but that has nothing to do with her ability to fulfill the prophecy. And Glory doesn't need to be a SkyWing to save the world."

"If you use that mindset, you may as well say every dragonet fits into the prophecy," Morrowseer hissed.

Tsunami growled, then lunged at Morrowseer without another warning. She raked her claws along his shoulder, then dropped down onto the ground again. Tsunami turned and reared up on her hindlegs. She lashed out her claws with a powerful swipe and ran her claws along Morrowseer's nose. He roared in pain as he pulled himself out of reach of the SeaWing's claws.

Tsunami threw herself at Morrowseer again. With a snarl, Morrowseer raised his massive talon and knocked Tsunami out of the air. She hit the wall with a horrible thud and slithered down to the floor. Clay growled and flung himself at Morrowseer. He landed on his back and scrambled up until he was at Morrowseer's shoulder. Clay bit down hard, then pulled away with a yelp of pain. Morrowseer shook out his body, sending Clay flying.

Without a second thought, Hare charged at Morrowseer. She clawed at his chest, then ducked away before he could fight back. She ran around his side and sank her teeth into the vulnerable spot near the end of Morrowseer's tail. He thrashed his tail, but she quickly let go and dove under his belly. She reared up and raked her claws along his underbelly. Morrowseer moved around to try and fight back, but Hare was quicker.

Hare jumped up and sank her claws into the tender part of Morrowseer's wing. He roared again and shook his wing. Hare dug her claws in deeper and bounded up the NightWing's body. She climbed up his neck, digging her claws into the gaps between his scales. She noticed a flash of golden and black scales as she made her way along the side of his neck.

Hare growled and bit down on the pink part of Morrowseer's ear. Morrowseer tried to throw her off again. She refused to let him and bit down harder. His shakes grew more violent, making it harder for Hare to keep a grip. She let go and jumped off of him.

Morrowseer lifted his tail and bared his teeth in a snarl. Sunny was biting the same spot where Hare had bit on his tail. "What a surprise," he rumbled, prying Sunny off with his front talons.

He gave his scales one final shake. Tsunami groaned and got up with Clay helping her.

"This wasn't how I was expecting it to go," he admitted. "You have raised good fighters, there's no doubt about that." He glared at Glory. "Mostly."

Glory narrowed her eyes a little but said nothing.

Morrowseer turned his attention to Starflight. "I see you're more loyal to your tribe than you are to them," he said approvingly. Starflight looked down in shame.

"The SeaWing and MudWing will do," Morrowseer went on. "We'll have to see about the SandWing." He looked at Hare. "You remind me of your kin," he commented.

He looked at Glory and hissed. "We'll discuss her later." He flicked his tail and nodded at Starflight. "Come along, you and I are going to have a private conversation."

Starflight hesitated, then followed Morrowseer into the study cave. His tail drooped and dragged along the cave floor as he walked.

Poor Starflight.

Once the NightWings disappeared, Kestrel turned to the dragonets.

"Normally I'd scold you for such foolishness," she said. "Those attacks were uncalled for. However, it benefitted you and possibly us." She dipped her head. "Well done."

She turned back to the other guardians. "Come on," she said, flicking her tail. "We have to talk."

She led the way into a dark cave. The others followed. Clay walked over to Glory. "Are you alright?" he asked.

"Of course I am," Glory replied.

"Why didn't you fight when we did?" Hare demanded. "Are you trying to look like the lazy RainWing everyone claims you are?"

"There's no point in trying to prove myself," Glory said. "It's obvious I've already failed whatever test Morrowseer had in store. I failed the second I was born."

"You had a chance to prove him wrong!" Hare insisted. "Instead of just sitting on your tail you could've shown him you're just as good as the others."

"That's easy for you to say," Glory snapped. "You have nothing to prove."

"And yet I still fought!"

Shades of red flared around Glory's ears. She opened her mouth to snap something back but Clay quickly interjected.

"Hare's only saying this because she cares," he said quickly. "We all do."

"How sweet," Glory snarled. "I'm going to take a nap."

Hare scoffed. Of course she is! It's like she wants Morrowseer to think she's lazy!

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" Sunny asked.

"I don't see why it's not," Glory snapped. "Morrowseer already thinks I'm lazy. Nothing I can do about it."

"You can stop moping about it and prove him wrong," Hare hissed, narrowing her eyes. "You don't see any of the others pouting over what Morrowseer thinks, do you?"

Glory bared her teeth at Hare. "I don't see why it matters so much to you."

"Because I'm trying to help you!" Hare snapped. "If you let every negative thing someone says about you get to your head you're never going to get anywhere. For moons sake, is it that hard to put some effort in when it matters?"

"I put in more effort than the rest of you," Glory shot back.

"Not right now, you're not," Hare retorted.

Glory whirled around and walked over to her sleeping cave. "Wake me if anything exciting happens," she snarled before disappearing into the cave.

Clay turned to Hare once she was gone. "What was that about?" he demanded.

"I said it a million times!" Hare snapped. Without another word, she stalked away and curled up on a nearby ledge. Anger bubbled inside her more than she would've liked. Hare buried her snout under her talons.

She wasn't even part of the prophecy, so why did it seem like she cared more than the others did?