Chapter 16: She's just a "shoujo heroine"

Start from the beginning

Sometimes I think to myself that they don't even know I existed. Haha...

And so, I spend my middle school days in solitude with no one to talk to.

It was, really lonely...

Actually, it doesn't really bother me too much. [Trying to cope her loneliness.]

The reason is, ever since I learned about shojo manga's existence, the way I see life took a turn.

Compared to a boring life that I had led until now. In shoujo mangas, even a regular girl who led a life as monotonous as mine can become the center of the world.

Throughout those years of being alone, coping as I insert myself as the heroine, it keep myself going through those lonely years.

I guess it wouldn't be a lie if I said it was the only thing that I looked forward to through those past three years.

I don't have anyone to talk to, after all.
Looking back on it now, it sounds quite depressing...

That is why! Now that I'm in high school, this time. How about try becoming one? A shoujo heroine.

With high school being just around the corner, I could transform myself into a real shoujo protagonist like the ones in mangas.

Yes, that's right. I planned to have an image change as a shoujo heroine as I make my high school debut!

As high school just being around the corner, I had hope that I can finally change myself for the better. However, I came to a realization...

"This can't be... Most of my classmates are people I know from middle school...?!"

If I change myself now, wouldn't it look strange in the point of view of people I already know? Why change now? They'd probably think that I'm weird if I did.

In the end, I couldn't even manage to make the first step to changing myself for the better, being held back by my own insecurities.

But... I didn't think there would come another chance that would present itself out of nowhere. But it did.

"We're moving."

"Eh?!"

Out of nowhere, my mother nonchalantly announced that we will be moving houses to another city.

I was so shocked, I even lost grip of the snack I was eating on my bed at just how sudden the announcement was.

My second chance presented itself before me, just when I thought that all hope was lost.

As it turns out, I was the only one in the family who didn't know we were moving.

They told me how they are looking for a place for quite some time now. I just learned about this fact the same day they announced it.

Additionally, it was in the middle of summer break when they made this announcement.

How convenient the timing was. So, before I make my second highschool debut, I properly used that time to invest in myself and my appearance.

I got my hair straightened and changed hairstyle to a trendy one, let it down this time around instead of having it braids. Straight bangs included, exactly like the majority of shojo protagonists in a shoujo manga.

I also bought eye contacts so I wouldn't have to use glasses looking too nerdy.

I was never good at studying anyway so I don't need to look smart. Not at all.

I can finally wear a cute ribbon accessory without standing out of class asking anything about it.

I want to make the most of this high school life as fulfilling as it could possibly be rather than a plain lived one like last time.

Now flashing back to the present, where I previously mentioned I was running late for school. The part where I repeatedly yell "I'm late!" on the street pathway as I hurried myself to school.

"I'M LAAAAAATE!"

But before we continue. I bet you are wondering. Why was there a slice of bread on my mouth as I run?

This was just simply a result of a whim of mine I had earlier this morning.

Earlier this morning. Well... it's still morning, but you get my point.

Anyway, before all this happened, I overslept by twenty minutes because I forgot my phone was left on silent. So the alarm didn't ring and was only left vibrating.

Fortunately, my mother woke me up when she noticed there was no signs of me getting out of bed any time soon.

I was running out of time so there was no time for breakfast.

Realizing the situation. 'Isn't this like a golden shoujo-situation opportunity!?'

I skipped breakfast and went on my way leaving the house, carrying a toasted slice of bread in one hand and my school bag on the other.

After walking some distance away from our house, I placed the slice of bread in my mouth and started running.

Why? ...In shoujo mangas, there is this ongoing gag about the heroine running late for school, while bitting on a piece of bread on her mouth.

While running in full speed, she would bump into a boy in the next corner by accident.

And then, for those two, it would feel as though it was a fated encounter happening between those two characters. [The famous "Chance Encounter."]

'Honestly, what am I even doing?'

Even though I'm a fan of shoujo mangas, I am well aware of how stupid and ridiculous it was for anything like that to actually happen.

It is unlikely that something like that would even happen in a real world situation just by pure coincidence.

But because I've already resolved myself to live this high school life to the fullest, it doesn't hurt to give it a shot.
[A girl who creates bad decisions.]

To be honest, I think of the scenario of bumping into each other on the next corner with a slice of bread in your mouth is kind of cringe and very outdated. But it surely is a memorable one. Not like I'm expecting it to work though...

By the way, I stopped shouting "I'm late!" half fay through. I was getting exhausted, and talking with bread in your mouth doesn't make it easier either.

As I was hurriedly making my way to school, passing by a fence that is made of bush, it suddenly started rustling which made me come to a stop.

And then... out of nowhere... something unexpected happened.

A guy without warning came dashing out of the said fence made of bush.

Before I even had a chance to react, we had already collided into each other.

Because of the collision, it knocked off the slice of bread that was on my mouth, causing me, the guy, and the bread etc. to fall to the ground.

Everything is now laying on the floor.

My bottom hit the floor first, it hurts a bit, but what did I bump into?

"Ouch, that hurt... What in the world was tha-?!"

"Are you alright?"

All of a sudden, a blue haired handsome guy extended his hand to me, seemingly trying to assist me stand-up, as he smiled and stared at me with his red colored eyes.

'A prince...?'

In that moment, it seems as though the world completely stopped, as stared at him while I sat on the ground.

The unexpected has happened and a prince has arrived. Is this what they call, "fate"?