Forked Tongue Promises

Start from the beginning

"So I've heard," Fu Jie said. "So I've only heard, as her Highness has yet to be available for me whenever I've come by." Sima nodded. He prepared the same act that he had been performing since Yuanji's departure.

"Her Highness is working diligently to better her abilities and commitment to her future duties," Sima said.

"Is that what you told the whore to do?" Fu Jie asked sharply. "The one you organized to take her Highness's place?" Sima Yi paused. He swallowed to clear his throat, a cold droplet of sweat racing down his back.

"Where..." Sima started. He paused for a moment, thinking about the right thing to say. Unfortunately, Fu Jie had already caught on to his staggered response.

"'Where'... who?" Fu Jie asked. "The servant girl? Fret not, she's perfectly fine under my care now. It seems to me like you should be far more concerned over the whereabouts of our sweet princess Yuanji." Sima paused once more, but knew to speak quickly so as to get ahead of the situation that was quickly slipping through his fingers like sand.

"As I said, Her Highness has stepped out," Sima Yi said. "I had a servant tending to her Highness's needs while her Highness studies diligently elsewhere. Her Highness is very much looking forward to the union and is simply making herself as familiar as possible with her future duties as your bride, your Majesty."

"Her future duties are to be made available to me," Fu Jie's voice snapped, with little indication of anger in his dark, shadowy expression. "Out of everything, I'd say that that is what is most important in a concubine. Wouldn't you agree, Sima Yi?" Sima Yi stood back. A breath punched against his throat as it stopped, fearfully hiding from the prince's booming tone. Sima forced his eyes forward and his face stoically addressing a prompt response.

"I... c-concubine?" Sima Yi asked softly. "I-I beg your forgiveness, your Majesty, but her Highness is to become Empress once the union is finalized." Fu Jie paused. He looked down to a painted clay vase by the balcony curtain. He ran his fingers across the rough, rounded edge of the gaping top.

"My mother was a beautiful woman, much like her Highness, Hong Yuanji," Fu Jie said. "I suppose I've been rather taken with her since our first council, when I was able to fully behold that beauty. She is, in fact, a treasure, possibly the greatest treasure of any empire or any land. My mother was much the same way. Her beauty was not lost on my father, who took to her far more than any diplomatic union could ever fully grasp. He was devout to her; gave her more than an empire, he gave her the world. Through their union, villages rose and prospered. War was a barbaric and useless endeavor. Their adoration spread across mountain and sea, upholding true magic and grace.

"I knew my destiny was to rule, but it was easy to see just how grand a destiny it was, even when my mother turned that blade against my father's throat. Mother made sure my sister and I witnessed it all. It was such a calming shade stained into the stone that I knew right then what my own palace would look like someday. From there, prosperity pursued, like nothing had happened at all. Mother grieved for the masses, yet welcomed her new position as Empress Dowager. She began helping me train, right then, for my own destiny. Servants became personal companions of mine, including my own sister. Mother ensured that they would help fulfill my every need as a boy learning the ways of the world. More servants were brought in with each new conquest. Some, I was given, others became her own concubines, while the rest were either put to domestic or field labor. When their utility came into question, more rooms would be painted that same lovely shade. Mixed in with my father's, you could hardly tell a difference.

"Tradition perpetuates history, Sima, and it cares not for the merits of right and wrong. My lineage has found great success in challenging the notions of tradition. In doing so, we have created a legacy that will see its deeds echo throughout time. Her Highness, Hong Yuanji, will play a very important role in the next chapter of that legacy. No matter her duties once the union has been settled, her importance will never be understated, though I'll say that it is her beauty that makes her a valuable asset in supplying comfort, improving morale for allyships, and of course providing the best possible heirs. All of these are honorable deeds for any woman, even a budding young Empress, wouldn't you agree?" Sima Yi cleared the harsh dryness from his throat. His jaw ached as his teeth pressed into one another behind closed lips. The man managed a nod, despite the searing blush against his ears and neck.