"I'm not allowed to come home?" Sima asked.

"You chose your home," Meiling said, "and it's not here." Meiling's fist tightened. The burning in her chest continued to rise. She launched forward with another rapid series of punches and elbows, all of which Sima managed to block and deflect.

"You've gotten a lot better over the years," Sima said, shielding his face.

"Don't you dare patronize me," Meiling snarled. She advanced faster onto Sima Yi, adding quick kicks and harder blows. Sima absorbed the heavy hits. He managed to catch a few light punches to the chest and shoulders, sending him stumbling backward.

"That's enough, Mei," Sima Yi said. Meiling continued charging with attacks when Sima Yi sent a hard heel strike to her chest. Meiling felt the air escape her lungs. She staggered back, just barely able to keep herself standing. She held the spot he had struck her, heaving painfully. "You know I don't want to hurt you."

"Then why come back?" Meiling asked, coughing through a dry throat. "Why not stay gone? With your new family!" Meiling dashed at the man, arms raised ready to strike again. She caught Sima with a few quick blows that he only nearly was able to block. Meiling's fist slammed against his frame, sending hard thumps trembling through his body. When a kick caught Sima across the side of his head, he fell back, stumbling to his knees.

"M-Mei!" Sima groaned in pain. He held his palm to his cheek. Sima stretched out his jaw and waited for the ringing to cease in his ear.

"You used to be better," Meiling said. "No, you used to be good. But then you gave it up for a life of servitude, just like everything else, so I say you deserved that."

"By the gods, Meiling, you just won't grow up, will you?" Sima Yi asked. He rose to his feet, wiping a trickle of blood from his lip.

"Like you would know?" Meiling asked. "I think I managed to grow just fine without you."

"Not while you're still pulling your old tricks," Sima Yi said. "Causing mayhem, playing the thief, being put into the public stocks for your own amusement. You call that growing up?"

"I call that living. I call that something you never understood."

"You're reckless, Meiling, and one of these days you're going to slip up and get yourself hurt, maybe even killed," Sima Yi said.

"I live carefree under the heel of no one, just like mother," Meiling said. "Like mother wanted for us." Sima sighed. He glanced back at his mother's shrine. Flowers shifted in the wind by the base.

"You think you know mother better than I?" Sima asked.

"You think I don't?" Meiling asked back. "Why? Just because you were hers and I wasn't? That's what you're thinking right now, isn't it?"

"Meiling, I didn't say-"

"No, say it."

"Mei, I'm not here to start this with you," Sima said, huffing angrily. Meiling bared her teeth and swallowed. She closed her eyes for a moment. She sucked in deep breaths and collected herself. "I really wish you'd understand why I did what I did. I just wanted to protect you." Meiling chuckled.

"I didn't need protection," Meiling said. "But I spent a lot of nights needing a brother." Sima paused. His eyes fell to the ground.

"I want us to be done with this," Sima said. He rubbed his temple. His shoulders slumped beneath his regal robes. "Are you ever going to forgive me?"

"Are you ever coming home?" Meiling asked. Sima hesitated again. "Didn't think so." Meiling turned and started off for her house. Sima stayed behind in silence before rushing after her.