Chapter 8 | Shinnosuke vs. Kawamura

Everyone hurried to get a seat in the gymnasium. Luckily Shinnosuke was able to reserve seats for all his friends to watch him in the front row. Though she was not there, Nene also had her own seat which remained empty.

Ai and her bodyguard Kuroiso showed up. "Shin-sama! I've come to see you!" Ai said outside the ring, waving her hand to get his attention. "I even brought you a good luck gift!"

She reached into her high-priced velvet purse and held the small container which was Shinnosuke's kryptonite.

"Woah! Pre-game Chocobi! Thank you very much!" He said, snatching away the gift with a gleam in his eye.

"I'm glad you like it! Shin-sama, do you like my outfit? I made sure to dress properly for your-"

"Kazama-kun, we don't have to go to the store anymore!" Shinnosuke looked behind him and held the snack high in the air.

"Geez, you'll accept anything from anyone." Kazama replied.

Shinnosuke only snickered at his lover's remark and took a giant sip from his water bottle.

Bo and Masao were running a bit late; they had accidentally jammed the pencil sharpener in the art room. Bo decided to spent a few extra minutes fixing it. The school's gymnasium took quite a walk, as it was separated from the main building. They were forced to face the blistering cold.

Bo was nearly lost in his dreary thoughts before he noticed the other rubbing his arms repeatedly. "Masao-kun, are you okay?" He asked.

"No...I left my coat at home. I was so excited to submit my manga this morning, I'd rushed out of the house and completely forgotten to bring it!" Masao shuttered. "These autumn nights are brutal."

Bo felt terrible for him. He slipped off his own coat and draped it over the cold boy's shoulders.

"Bo-chan-"

"I insist." He said, cutting him off. He wasn't going to let Masao suffer in the cold; he wasn't going to let Masao suffer at all, especially since he had been working so hard up until this day.

Masao decided to accept it and keep walking. The scent of the riverbank still lingered in it. In the depths of the cold night, he felt warm again. "Your coat's really big, you know."

The other wasn't sure how to respond to that.

Masao continued, "...but it's comforting. Though, are you sure you'll be alright?"

"It's not too far now. I'll manage until we get there. I don't watch you to catch a cold."

"But if I have your coat, won't you catch a cold?"

"...No."
Bo himself wasn't really sure.

"Maybe you'll snot again like you did when we were little!" Masao lightheartedly joked.

Bo blushed. "You still remember that." He thought out loud.

"Of course I do, but it's a shame that you've grown up. Now it's gone. You sure have gotten taller since middle school."

He's heard nearly the entire world point out that he was tall, but he'd say nothing about it because the statement came from Masao. He just hoped he wouldn't reach into the pockets of the coat because it was where his onigiri rocks were being stored.

"Want me to buy you something at the concession stands when we get there?"

"Yeah. Thanks, Bo-chan."

When they arrived at the gymnasium, Masao deserted his friend and went to greet Ai with enthusiasm, as if he were only there to be in the presence of her.