[ CHAPTER 1 ]

A male would awake on a cold metal grate type of flooring, gasping for breath. He would feel his stomach turn as he struggled to compose himself. He had no recognition of where he was, or how he had gotten there.
He finally gotten ahold of himself, resting onto his knees as he truly took the moment to take note of his situation. He was in a metal grate type box, which was going up like some sort of elevator. His hair slightly flowed from the motion, as flashing red lights continually passed him as they progressed farther upwards.
He was confused as he was scared, spotting a rather large box covered by a sheet. He shouldn't have been so intrigued by it, by the contents of the box interested him. He crawled forwards, gently pulling the sheet up only to be scared by a pig. It was not happy to be contained, the male dropping the sheet and backing into the corner.
He gathered himself, making a quick connection. He knew what the farm animal was, it's practically common sense yet had no clue what his own name was. The thought hasn't crossed his mind till now. He didn't know anything about himself, he couldn't even really recall on how he looked.
The box began to suddenly pick up in speed, hurdling upwards as the male was thrown from his spot in the corner. He landed on the cold grate with a grunt, glancing up as he could see the end of the elevator. He panicked, the box showed no signs of stopping as he tried to brace himself for some sort of impact.
The impact never came though, only the silence that filled the air along with an oil, mechanical type of scent. He would glimpse towards the top of the shaft again, a whirring sound starting up as it slowly began to open. They finally did as there were two trap doors with small windows to let light peak in. He then heard the doors being tugged open.
The light seeped into the box, making the male block it with his hand. He blinked in attempt to adjust with the light but it was hard. He didn't even know how long he had truly been in the box since he only woke up towards the end possibly. He spotted silhouettes of other people, possibly more males as that was the voices he prominently heard.
The phrases to him didn't make sense, or so much the words. He understood basic English when they said things like it, but there were things like 'shank', 'slopper' and other terms he had never heard before. It wasn't like he'd remember what he has and hasn't heard.
A hand came into a view, someone offering him out as he hesitated. He didn't know who these people were, if they were dangerous or anything. He knew there was light out there so that gave him more freedom than the box. He took the hand, being pulled out and thrown into the dirt nearby.
He grunt as the dirt covered his clothes, which were very neutral pieces of clothing. He was wearing a simple white shirt under everything, along with a grey type of crew neck. It was worn out as he had these type of loose cargo pants along with boots.
He regained himself though after dusting himself off, people surrounding him. They were saying so many things over one another that he couldn't really hear anything distinctly. He spotted an opportunity though, a small gap within the crowd. He threw himself up, stumbling a bit as he began to sprint from the group.
He heard people break out into laughter and cheers, confusing him more where he had ended up as he felt his foot be pulled out from under him. He plummeted into the field, a low groan escaping from him as he hit the ground. He gently grabbed his head, feeling nothing split open or so as he glanced up. His face was instantly washed over by shock.
He spotted a giant wall before him, a small entrance within the middle of it. He then slowly reeled his head around, noticing 3 more of the same exact walls.. trapping them within this field area. He had gotten out of a box just to enter a larger one. It was almost like he was frozen, he couldn't believe where he was. He felt a sudden tug from his collar, being pulled back and pushed against a tree.
He was about to rush off as someone put their hand on his chest, pushing him back against the tree. He grunt as he glanced at the male before him. "Calm it." He said, noticeably being the only person nearby him. The rest crowded behind the man, perhaps giving him some sort of power within this place.
The male has very light brown hair, falling to his eyes as it looked unkept but almost in a style way. He was Asian with rather pale skin, and had a few piercings along his ears. He wore something neutral as well, a tan like t-shirt with similar cargo pants. A necklace that was somewhat hidden by his shirt and worn out sneakers.
"The name is Kazue, the First-in-Command of the Glade." As he suspected, he was in charge around here. Kazue glimpsed back at the crowd of male surrounding them. "Get back to work, I'm sure you'll all meet the greenie eventually!"
As instructed, they all did so. It may had taken a moment for every single one to comply but it seemed none tried to defy his authority fully. He didn't notice a single woman anywhere in this whole place, confused on why.
"Before all your questions come sputtering out, like everyone else's before you.. let me quickly address some things." Kazue had spoken up again, the male looking to him. "You are under my authority now, and you'll do as I say. If you don't comply, we have something called the slammer that we'll throw ya' in and leave you there without dinner. Got it?"
          He slowly nodded his head. "Great, some other things you should know is that you'll be working a part in this community just as much as anyone else. You don't get to slack off, and if you do so.. then you'll suffer the punishments."
          Kazue did not seem like someone who was easy-going in the slightest. He was demanding, out-spoken and very clear with what he wanted him to do. He could really just nod, not wanting to upset Kazue. "Tour time."
        He was pulled to his feet, being walked through the field now. Kazue next to him, pointing out a wooden log building nearby. "That's the homestead, it's basically where the Med-Jacks work and we have some meetings. It's also where people with higher authority sleep."
          He glanced at the building, it had look prematurely built. It was slightly tilted, giving it an off feeling. Kazue caught his attention again as they walked through the field, pointing out some things like their kitchen area where dinner is prepared and so. The gardens were North-East as he then pointed out a barn structure Sotuh-East. South-West held the forest area called 'Deadheads'. It's where they got their fertilizer, and buried the dead.
          They'd hear a make yell to Kazue, approaching as Kazue smiled. Kazue directed the male to him, introducing them. "Greenie, this is Ryu! He's in charge if I'm not around." Kazue said as Ryu took his hand, shaking it.
          "Nice to meet ya'." Ryu said with a smile still, he seemed much more relaxed than Kazue. "You know, that was a nice dash you made back there.. 'till you fell." He just pursed his lips after Ryu said that, a bit embarrassed on how he had practically ate dirt.
          "Ryu, can you fetch Jordan for me?" Kazue asked as Ryu nodded, limping off as Kazue led him the opposite direction. He glanced back, spotting Ryu limping near a stacked pile of logs and such. He noticed both that and his limp, curious on what had happened. "What's that?" He asked as Kazue glanced back also, turning his attention forwards after.
          "That's for later, just wait Greenie." He was going to press on farther but Kazue cut him off. It was almost agitating him with how vague they had been. "Alright, so we got only 3 rules here. The first is what I've already told you.. no slacking. Everyone plays their part. Two; never hurt another Glader. We have to live, trust and work together. Finally; never, under any circumstances can you go out of these walls unless you are a runner." Kazue crossed his arms, glaring at him.
          "Got that Greenie?" He nodded, more intrigued though what lies outside of the walls. His mind was racing with questions but once again, he got cut off before speaking as a male approached them.
          "Hi." The male said, he looked younger than the rest of them. Kazue and Ryu looked roughly 16, Jordan looked 13 or 14. He had this timid expression on him as Kazue spoke up. "Oh, hey Jordan how's it going?" Kazue asked, "You got any free time to show this shank around?"
Shank? What kind of word was that. He remembered hearing it when he came out from the Box. "Uh, yeah- of course! I've been good also.." He fidgeted with his hands, having a weirdly and rather large pack on. Kazue would thank him before disparaging as Jordan turned to him.
          "Alright, come on. I'll show you where you'll sleep!" He said with a small smile as he led him off towards an barracks in the distance. It was two stories as he could see hammocks and such from their area.
          He stopped though, Jordan talking about something as he continued walking without him. He looked at the door, intrigued. He wanted to know what was in there. Why weren't they allowed out there? What was runners? He had too many questions.
"What are you doing-!" Jordan asked, rushing over as he looked down at the boy. "I'm just looking." He stepped forwards as he stopped. Two males came jogging from the maze, going past him and Jordan.
"Hey, look at the new Greenie!" One said as he chuckled, the other one following behind him. "How's it feel to be promoted Jordan?" Jordan chuckled awkwardly, giving him a thumbs up. "It's good Atlas." The second boy, Atlas, nodded to him as he jogged off. The other boy following him.
He watched as they went off towards a metal kind of door that was just randomly in the field, going down into it. It must've been something special to their job. He turned his attention back to the door, stepping towards it as someone came up and shoved him away. He hit the dirt roughly.
"Getting a bit too close, Greenie." A male said as he glared down at him, as he then crawled back from the guy who shoved him. "What the hell!" He said defensively as scrambled to his feet. The guy grabbed his arm, trying to say something.
"Get off of me!" He shoved him off, creating a scene as people started to gather around. Ryu jogged over as he looked to the scene before him. "Hey, just calm down-"
Ryu said as the guy who pushed him back away, having let go of him. "No, what the hell is wrong with you people? What's in those walls!" He asked as he stood in the middle of a small crowd, and directly in front of the giant doorway.
"It's kind of just hard to explain, you'll understand soon." He was kind of sick of the vague answers, about to speak up when suddenly the ground rumbled. No one except him seemed to be affected. He turned around, a gust of wind making his hair flow slightly to the side as he heard a loud mechanical sound almost. The giant opening began to close. It made no sense. The walls that were coming together were ginormous.. how were they even moving.
After a few moments, the opening shut. It letting out a rumble that echoed within the Glade. "Next time, I'll let you leave." The male said as he walked off, Ryu trying to say something to him. He heard the name Max, but it wasn't really what he cared about currently.
"Hey, don't worry about it. I'm sure it will all be explained to you soon." Ryu said as he stepped back, the rest of the crowd dispersing to their jobs. Ryu eventually gained his attention again, having him continue the tour with Jordan before dinner started, so that's what happened. Jordan would bring him to places he'd need to learn and get use to. This was his life now.