chapter ten- feels like

"Are you sure you really want them over? They're kind of a lot." Ember asked for the fifth time, worried that her supportive friends would be overwhelming. 'Feels Like' was officially released tonight and Gracie had invited Ember and her two friends to her place along with some other people for a small release party. Gracie gave her a pointed look, "Em, it'll be fine. I want to meet your friends. Plus, I know you said they've been your biggest supporters so they probably want to share the release with you too." She pats Ember's hand gently, sending sparks through the younger girl. Ember felt her heart flutter at her words and she nodded. She knew Gracie was right - her friends were an important part of her journey and they should be celebrating with her. "Okay, what else do we need-" Gracie groaned dramatically, "Ugh, Emberrrr. You need to calm down." Ember raised her eyebrow with a smirk, "Am I being too loud?" Gracie chuckled, "Em, seriously, chill out. It's going to be a great night. Now, go home, get ready, and I'll see you at the party. No more stressing, okay?" Gracie's calm demeanor had a soothing effect on Ember. Taking a deep breath, she nodded, "Yeah, you're right. I'll be back in a few hours with the troops." With a reassuring smile, Gracie ushered Ember out the door.

Once at home, Ember focused on getting ready. She styled her wavy hair into loose curls, tying up two small braids in the back. After trying a million different outfits on, she finally settled on a delicate sage green lace top with a simple black skirt. Tying a matching green ribbon to where her braids met, Ember gave herself a once over in the mirror. She touched up her signature eyeliner and was rummaging through her closet for her oxford docs when her phone buzzed with a message. A text from the group chat with Rowan and Leigh lit up her phone that said outside!! followed by a string of celebratory emojis. Ember grinned, feeling a surge of gratitude for the friends who had been with her through thick and thin. Tugging her shoes on, she grabbed her bag and rushed downstairs, knowing parking was a hassle where she lived. The night air was crisp as Ember hurriedly locked her front door and rushed towards the awaiting car. Rowan and Leigh, their faces illuminated by excitement, waved from the car, their enthusiasm contagious. Ember hopped in, greeted by a burst of cheers. "Em! You look so cute!" Leigh said, turning from the front seat to hug her. "Thank you, are you guys ready?" "I'm so excited to meet everyone, the production on both songs was so good!" Leigh said eagerly. Rowan nodded, focusing on the road, "It's only 15 minutes away, traffic isn't terrible, surprisingly." The 15 minutes was well spent discussing the new restaurant drama that Ember had missed and Rowan told them about the new model drama she'd overheard during photoshoots. When they finally reached a gate outside of fancy apartments, Ember gave the code to the security guard. Waving them through, Rowan slowly drove to private parking under Ember's direction. They got out of the car and Ember walked up to the security she now knew. "Rowan Johnson, Leigh Davis, and Ember Gray." Michael, the security guard, looked down at his list, checking them off. "They're good." He says to another guard who points them upstairs. The three girls thank them and Ember leads them upstairs, punching in the code for the door.

​​The lively atmosphere at Gracie's apartment welcomed Ember, Rowan, and Leigh as they entered. Gracie's excitement matched Ember's, and the genuine warmth in her eyes made the nerves flutter away. The small release party was in full swing, with people chatting, music playing softly in the background, and an air of celebration enveloping the space. Gracie ushered them in with a hug for Ember and a warm greeting for Rowan and Leigh. "Oh my gosh, I was wondering where you guys were!" Gracie exclaimed, her enthusiasm contagious. She turned to Rowan and Leigh, extending a hand, "Hi, I'm Gracie. It's so nice to finally meet you guys! Ember's said such good things." Rowan and Leigh exchanged amused glances before shaking Gracie's hand. "Likewise! Ember's been telling us all about you," Rowan said with a playful smirk. Leigh chimed in, "Yeah, Ember's practically your number one fan. This is all she's talked about since you guys met." Ember shot a playful glare at her friends, her cheeks tinted with a blush. "You guys are the worst," she teased, though her eyes sparkled with gratitude, "I just appreciate good music." Gracie laughed, a melodic sound that made Ember's heart warm. "Well, I'm honored to have worked with such a dedicated fan," She nudges Ember teasingly, "Come on in, make yourselves at home!"