Part Two

Basil didn't know what to do. He didn't want to let his balloon go; it had been so long since he had had one and he had grown quite attached to it. Quite literally.

On the other hand, he didn't want to expose Anna's secret. So he had no choice but to hide it carefully. Now, this was not an easy thing to do, of course. He brought it down towards him, hugged it closely to him (very, very carefully - the last thing he wanted to do was pop it), and entered his flat.

He closed the door behind him. He didn't think anyone was home, so he let his balloon float into the air above him.

He was wrong.

"Basil," asked his flatmate, Stephen. "What's that?"

Okay, so he could try to be snarky and sarcastic at this point, but Anna's secret was at stake.

"Okay, so I know what it is, but why do you have it? And where did you get it from?"

What's this, 20 Questions? thought Basil, chuckling to himself.

"Basil..."

Stephen was clearly not going to drop the subject.

Basil turned around, and sighed. "Can't a fox have a balloon without so many questions?"

"It's just a bit... weird."

"In your opinion."

"Okay, let's ask Dave what he thinks, shall we?"

Basil sighed again. "Look. Just because I'm a responsible adult fox, it doesn't mean I can't enjoy the simple little things."

"It's just... random."

"Everything's random, Mr Stephen. Now if you'll excuse me..."

"If that thing pops in the night, you're in big trouble."

"Honestly, if you just leave it alone, it won't do anything."

Stephen went back to doing... whatever he was doing. Basil wasn't taking any notice.

***

A few days later, Basil was back at Anna's flat. His balloon had long deflated (it didn't pop in the night).

"Great job, Basil," Anna said, giving him a hug. He was telling her about how he had to conceal it when he was heading home.

"But Miss Anna," Basil said, "I don't think anyone would mind if you told them the truth."

"I don't think I'm ready yet," said Anna.

Basil tilted his head. "Do you think I'd be suspicious if I went home with another one?"

"You like them, don't you?"

"Who doesn't like balloons?"

Anna smiled and nodded. Basil had a point. Why was she so afraid of people knowing? Was it because she thought she was too 'old' for balloons? That was silly; balloons were for everyone.

Anna shook her head, and tried to concentrate on the task at hand. Basil said he wanted another balloon, didn't he?

Anna went into the bedroom, and grabbed her box of uninflated balloons. She returned to the sitting room, opened the box and showed Basil. "I'll let you choose the colour."

Ooh, so much choice, thought Basil. He eventually went for an orange one.

Anna took the uninflated balloon, stretched it, and put it on the nozzle of her helium tank. She pushed the nozzle up, and the balloon began to inflate.

Basil was mesmerised. He'd never seen anyone inflate a balloon with helium before. Once the balloon had a small neck, Anna took it off the tank and tied it. Holding the balloon very tight, she went back into her box and fished for a piece of orange ribbon. She eventually found one and tied it to the neck of the balloon.

She tied the other end of the ribbon around Basil's paw. "There you go, Basil," she said, and she smiled at him.

Basil looked up at the beautiful balloon above him. He couldn't help but smile, too.

"Are you sure you don't mind sharing your balloons with me?" Basil asked.

"I know you appreciate them as much as I do," Anna smiled, "and I know you won't judge me for it."

"I definitely do appreciate them," said Basil, smiling.