✧ Chapter 1: Fascinated

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾゚+*:ꔫ:*﹤╔═════《✧》═════╗+*:ꔫ:*﹤∞ ₒ ˚ ° 𐐒

     The winds howled loudly, the strong breeze deafening. The dark night sky only filled with shimmery stars had you amazed and guided you to your destination. The air was so cold you could see your breath, you blew a breath of warm air onto your hands and rubbed them together, Autumn. You begrudgingly trudged through the field, the sounds of grasshoppers and crickets were calming and you closed your eyes, sighing. 

Once you opened them back up, you found yourself looking straight ahead, the lively, bustling city of Fontaine awaits. You found yourself being mesmerized by the sights below, and you began moving once more. A restock on supplies was very much needed. You took a swig of your water before you began heading on your way.

--

You looked around, stalls of shopkeepers sat in empty spaces and the place felt obnoxiously lively. Finding yourself pushing past large crowds people, you hurriedly paid for your items before leaving. The stars captivated your gaze and you sat on a bench, appreciating the refreshing, cold air. You watched your breath disappear into the air and leaned back, watching the moon for the first time in a while.

     "Beautiful.." You muttered.

     "Sure is." An unfamiliar voice spoke from behind you, making you flinch and instantly whip your head around. A boy stood behind the bench before putting his hand on the curved top. He chuckled, smiling at you with warmth.

     "May I?" He asked, gesturing to the spot next to you.

     "If you want to." You shrugged, and he took a seat beside you. You remained in silence for a little, allowing you both to figure out what to say next.

     "What's a girl like you doing in Fontaine?" He asked, sounding more curious than provocative. You glanced at him, and he stared back at you. You noted how his violet, amethyst eyes sparkled in the moonlight.

     "Travelling, why?" From the the look in his eyes, you could tell he was thinking, maybe even recalling something from the past.

     "How long will you be staying for?" He asked curiously, glancing down at your attire. You hadn't thought to change out of your clothes from back in Sumeru,  you looked very out of place in Fontaine. 

     "Maybe a few days, who knows." Shrugging, you looked back at the sky, the moon shone even brighter than before, it seems. 

     "Well, are you looking to make some extra mora on the side?"

     "Depends, what do you need me to do?" You glanced back at him. He thought about it for a moment.

     "I'm a magician, you see. And all good magicians have assistants, unfortunately, my assistant broke her leg not too long ago, and I'll need a replacement. I've got one of my shows coming up, which I cannot miss. You interested?" His eyes glimmered with hope, he couldn't hope to find another fit for the role in such a short timeframe. 

     "I suppose I could lend a hand." 

     "Great," he said, handing you a slip of folded paper. He gave you a smile and winked, tucking a stray strand of hair behind his ear. You had to admit, you found him charming, his alluring smile completely snatched your heart away.

     "It's the address of a local theatre, much like the one back in Sumeru. Meet me there tomorrow at 9?" You nodded and looked away, feeling your cheeks grow red. You glanced down at the piece of paper, were you really about to meet with some guy for some job you didn't know the details for?

     "Well, I'll be off." He said, standing up, you felt his gaze shift back to you.

     "Wait, how much am I getting paid?" You looked back at him curiously, the moonlight made him look heavenly. He thought for a moment before speaking.

     "Is 15k good for you?" 

     "No way..20k at least." 

     "20k it is, then." He hummed, the two of you made eye contact before he averted his gaze in a slightly bashful way. You wondered what that was all about.

     "Cool, see you tomorrow then." You smiled.

     "See you.." He said before leaving. The cold air nipped at your skin, leaving you shivering, but he made you feel warm. You leaned back on the wooden bench, glancing at the address he gave you.  

You folded the piece of paper and slipped it back into your pocket before getting up. You stretched, deciding to look for a place to stay.

--

     "Welcome, a room for one night?" The inn-keeper hummed and you nodded. The warmth of the inn was calming and welcoming, very different from the ruthless, freezing cold outside. You rubbed your hands together, basking in the heat.

     "4800 mora." She said to you before putting the key on the counter. She watched as you counted before sliding a bag of mora across to her.

     "Have a nice night~!" She smiled and you reciprocated, taking the key to your room. You quickly got inside and dramatically fell on the bed, taking a deep sigh. You took out the piece of paper given to you by the mysterious magician once more, glancing at its contents. You were skeptical of the guy, but at the same time, fascinated. And just like that, you fell asleep. 

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾゚+*:ꔫ:*﹤╚═════《✧》═════╝+*:ꔫ:*﹤∞ ₒ ˚ ° 𐐒