Invitation

Camille was woken up from an afternoon nap by the sound of an alarm. She rolled off the bed in seconds, dashing out of her room, and was greeted with the sight of the guards escorting panicked inmates into Wriothesley's office. Camille blinked away whatever sleepiness was left in her eyes. The prison was especially noisy today.

"What's going on?" she asked one of the guards.

"Prophecy," was his only answer, before he moved on.

Camille let the wave of people drag her into the ship, before she went in search of Wriothesley. Most of the others had already gone below deck. "Hold tight," was all he said. And as the last person entered the ship, Camille hung onto the railings for dear life as the ship seemed to fly out of the water.

"Those two need a raise," Wriothesley said in a dry tone, but Camille was too tongue-tied to reply. She watched as Wriothesley took command of the ship, and then looked for a way to help. She helped pull people from the water into the ship, and something in her heart broke as she realized they were above the City of Fontaine. The entire city was drowned in the waves.

"Interesting," said Wriothesley, surveying the scene as Camille pulled a soaked young woman onto the ship.

"They've not dissolved," Camille said with relief. "Unlike those folks from Childe's case."

"Indeed. The prophecy was wrong."

Camille thought she could see someone in a top hat diving underwater and escorting people onto smaller boats. "I see the House of the Hearth has come to help as well."

Wriothesley watched the boy as well. "Lyney's a fair swimmer. Although his younger brother does snatch the medal for it." Wriothesley's eyes narrowed as he looked out at the smaller boats. "I see the Spina di Rosula is here as well."

Camille watched the water. "The water's going down."

"It's over then," said Wriothesley, leaning against the railing. Camille stood beside him, watching the shivering passengers. Some people from the Fortress had found spare blankets to wrap them in. It was almost adorable. "Also, there's something you've forgotten."

"Is it my sanity? I think I left it in the Fortress."

He smiled, and put an arm around her. "No darling, today's the day of your release."

"A year has gone by," she said, the fact settling in.

"Go home and see your mother first. That poor woman is probably worried about you, especially considering what happened today."

Camille held onto the railings as the buildings of the Court of Fontaine finally came back into sight. "Alright, I'll come visit."

"No need, we'll see each other soon enough." Wriothesley headed to the wheel, and Camille followed him. He maneuvered the ship back underground, and Camille looked around, wondering who was making the forcefield around the ship, preventing water from entering. Underwater Fontaine was really beautiful. Camille touched the forcefield, as a little fish darted to and fro in the water, heading back to join its school.

After Camille got her release papers signed, she headed out of the Fortress, walking past the Opera Epiclese. There were puddles of water, and sunshine, glorious sunshine. She stood there, relishing the sunlight hitting her skin, and listening to the sounds of people cheering as they realized the prophecy had been wrong. She caught a glimpse of someone in blue and a top hat near the entrance of the Opera Epiclese, but when she turned, they were gone.

Camille continued walking on her way, her eyes on everything she had missed. The sea, the sky, the flowers, the rainbow... until she found herself outside of her house in the Court of Fontaine. Although the entire city had been submerged in water, the damage was very little. Camille raised a hand to knock on the door, and stepped back as the door opened, and her mother stood on the threshold, frozen with shock.

Camille coughed to get rid of whatever was stuck in her throat. "Hi, mom-" The rest of her greeting was cut short as her mother tackled her in a hug that had her rocking back in her heels.

"You're so pale and you need to eat more and—"

"Maman!" Camille laughed, and then entered the house with her mother. As she crossed her room, she realized her mother had kept it the exact same way Camille always did. Even the bedsheets were neatly folded. And over a cup of tea, Camille spoke of the last year.

"He wants to hire you?" Her mom asked, a little surprised. "I thought you'd be a prisoner, but you seemed to have ended up a mix between prisoner and guest."

"I... sort of felt like that too," she said. "I'm not going to complain about it though."

Her mom looked down at the empty teacup.

"What should I do?" Camille asked quietly.

"Whatever you want," her mom said, giving her a soft gaze. Camille opened her mouth to say something, but she was cut off. "If you take his offer, my chances of seeing you reduces because you'll most likely stay in the Fortress, I know. But you're an adult. You should live your life. If there's a reason for you to go, then you should go."

"I see," said Camille, taking the empty teacup from her mother and headed to wash the dishes. "I'll think about it."

She was still thinking about it five days later, when a letter arrived on her doorstep. The fancy paper and the seal on it made it obvious who it was from.

Dear Camille Moreau,

This is probably the first time I'm writing a letter that has nothing to do with official business. I apologize if it seems like I'm just dumping words on this piece of paper, because that's exactly what I'm doing.

Monsieur Neuvillette is hosting a ball in the Opera Epiclese on Saturday evening. He said something along the lines of 'increasing morale' and 'celebration.' I'm definitely not one for balls and fancy clothes, but he insisted. And so I extend the invitation to you. Would you be my partner for the ball? I'll meet you at the Fountain of Lucine that evening if you say yes.

Yours with affection,

Wriothesley,

Duke of the Fortress of Meropide

*********************