ii. county number seven

☠

Lucia's leg rhythmically bounced, a subconscious act of distraction that masked the unsettling emotions swirling in her stomach while gazing at Billy through the glass in the door. Despite never spilling her fears to Billy, Lucia held genuine dread for the impending future with the approaching milestone of turning eighteen in the coming year, casting the shadow of imminent removal from the system. The prospect of finding herself without a stable place to call home was a chilling reality she couldn't ignore.

She jolted as weighty footsteps reverberated through the floor, shaking off the grasp of her overwhelming thoughts that had constricted her throat. Her gaze swiftly shifted towards the entrance where a conspicuous couple had just arrived. Lucia observed their features briefly, but her attention swiftly returned to Billy on the other side of the glass. He, too, was scrutinizing the newcomers, wearing an expression that blended uncertainty with stoicism.

Lucia let out a muted groan, elegantly draping the hood of her jacket beneath her denim one over her head as she settled into her chair, discreetly observing Billy's departure from the room. An unspoken exchange passed between the two teenagers before Lucia's attention was diverted as she was summoned into the office. Meanwhile, Billy found himself guided by the couple, introducing themselves as Victor and Rosa. Lucia's hand instinctively reached up, adjusting Billy's beanie with a comforting touch, accompanied by a reassuring smile that seemed to alleviate the tension he carried. As she entered the office, Lucia casually tossed her bag beside a vacant chair, gracefully taking her place in the appointed seat.

"E.B Glover," Lucia read the desk nameplate, shifting her gaze to the vibrant and decorative yellow smiley mug, bouncy ball, and stickers, "You've got a shit ton of smiley... things for someone who doesn't seem to smile much," She remarked with a hint of amusement.

Ms Glover didn't take the remark lightly, she slowly lowered her glasses, fixing Lucia with a piercing gaze that betrayed no emotion. Lucia, however, met the intense stare without wavering, "Foster home in Pittsburgh reported you missing two weeks ago... just like Billy."

"Where he goes, I go..." Lucia spat, her words delivered with a flat, measured tone.

Ms Glover leaned in slightly, her eyes narrowing as she observed Lucia. "Lucia, we're concerned about your well-being. Running away from a foster home is not a solution, especially at your age..."