"Not in the way that mundanes do," Evangeline responded, once they were moving more gracefully. "We have parties and such much like everyone else, but we tend to train in fighting over dancing. But my parents loved to dance, and I used to step on top of my father's feet when I was little. That was how I learned how to waltz." A small ball formed in her throat. Evangeline paused long enough to swallow it, to make sure it wouldn't come up again. Clearing her throat, she turned her head toward the boys. "Jem, my dear, would you give us a little tune? That always makes dancing easier."

"Demanding, isn't she, dear Tessa?" Will asked dryly, his cheek still resting against Jem's knee. Jem paused in cleaning his violin to knock softly on the top of Will's head. It looked more loving than admonishing. Evangeline made a face at him, and Will grinned at her, his cheek smushed. Jem was standing a moment later, placing the violin beneath his chin and resting the bow against the strings. A beautiful melody started, a simple tune that would be easy to dance to. Evangeline led Tessa into it, pulling Tessa closer this time, her hand sliding from her hip to her lower back. Tessa blushed scarlet at the touch, likely not used to being touched at all, but Evangeline pretended not to notice and nodded in encouragement. Tessa was better now that there was music. Will joined in, singing the numbers now as they danced and danced. By the time the music was coming to an end, Tessa was breathing hard, flushed in the face from exertion, her heartbeat racing at the base of her throat.

Evangeline clicked her tongue as the violin faded. "You did wonderful," Evangeline complimented, "but we'll have to get you used to exerting yourself. You cannot fight—though, you are free to learn, of course—but it would do you well to run hard and fast." Evangeline put a finger under Tessa's chin, tilting her head up to study the flush in her cheeks. "You cannot be blushing like this when you are playing as Camille. I do not know how your abilities work, so will that be possible?"

"My heart does not beat when I am Camille, which is why I would prefer not to be her as much as possible," Tessa explained, brushing her dark hair behind her shoulders. She was frowning a moment later, glancing over at the two boys. Jem had put his violin and bow back into the case, and Will was whispering something to him that was making him laugh. Evangeline took a moment to smile at them before turning her attention back to Tessa. "When I Change...it is not just the surface of my skin that changes, it is my very being. I become that other person. I can see into their minds, can feel their hungers, their pains. It is..." Tessa shivered slightly, wrapping her arms around herself. "...difficult." Evangeline frowned and reached to squeeze Tessa's hand.

"You do not have to do this, you know," Evangeline whispered, hooking her pointer finger around Tessa's. Their hands dangled between them, linked, and Tessa stared down at the casual touch in confusion, as if she had never experienced it before. Evangeline's chest ached at the thought that she had never been touched like this, even by a friend. She hadn't mentioned any friends left behind. She had only ever mentioned her brother and an aunt that had passed before she had made the trip to London. "We will find your brother another way."

"No," Tessa sighed, shaking her head. "He is my brother. I will do what I can to save him. If I must turn into a vampire socialite, then so be it." Evangeline smiled at her, a bit of pride blooming inside of her chest. What a brave girl Tessa was. Evangeline couldn't help but admire her. Tessa cleared her throat, smoothed her hands over the skirt of her dress, then held out her hand toward Evangeline. "Shall we continue?"

Evangeline, smiling wider, took her hand and twirled Tessa into another waltz.

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

A few days later found them inside the Institute library, watching as Tessa continued to practice pretending to be Camille Belcourt. She had decided to transform into Camille this time, and though Camille had sent Tessa a dress to wear when they performed their mission, Tessa had chosen to wear one of her new blue and white dresses instead. As Camille, it was too loose on her, as Camille was small even to London beauty standards. Evangeline flicked her wrist, released a lacy fan she usually kept at her waist, and proceeded to fan herself. The library was hot. Sophie had built up the fire before leaving, and they weren't allowed to open any of the windows. It was raining far too hard outside, and the books were too delicate, according to Henry. Jem leaned against Evangeline's side when she started using the fan, so she adjusted her hand so that the artificial wind could fan them both. He sighed in relief and murmured his thanks, his chin perching delicately on her shoulder. She leaned her head against his.