21. The Sun's Unrequited Affection

Start from the beginning

The blond man has been part of the shipper's club #TamakixY/n, even during the time Tamaki was with Nejire, Mirio knew in the end the indigo haired male would end up with Y/n once the truth finally came to light. It was just a matter of when it would happen, though some hearts were broken from this union, it had to get done. For those two knuckleheads to get their shit together and prioritize each other for once.

Nevertheless, there was a lot to say about those who were affected by all this back and forth between those two. It was not their fault, but to a degree they did acknowledge that it still was. Tamaki and Y/n may have never sought out any romantic or adoration feelings from anyone else other than each other. In their eyes no one could ever measure up. But unfortunately, those who were close to their orbiter thought otherwise, they thought they had a chance. In the end, people did get hurt.

False hope was given to Nejire Hado and Keigo Takami. It was unrequited love, one-sided love or even worse, the godforsaken label of the 'second choice'. There were a lot of names out there to represent those who were unfortunately stuck in that endless cycle of loving someone, only to not get any love in return. One sided love was a curse of human nature. True love isn't selfish enough to ask for anything, and the downside of that is if it's not reciprocated it's an endless void of agony. That feeling in the heart that would never dull out, it was a slow burn type of ache. One that would form in the chest as though unmovable boulders laid there forever. It was a very hard disease to cure. Being the second choice regardless of intentional or not, was an attack on anyone's self-worth.

Mirio knows exactly what that feels like.

The heart was a very complicated companion. It hurt to see the person he loved, love someone else. Then that person, not feel anything for the one Mirio cared for in return. Mirio would do anything to see the person he loved smile, even if he couldn't do it himself. He wanted them to get everything they wished for. This was an endless circle of suffering. Mirio has been stuck in that same cycle for many years. He was called a player by many, and he probably didn't find anyone in the end because he still held on to the chance that she would look his way. That instead of chasing the one she wasn't meant for, that she would finally turn to look at him instead.

He wanted what Tamaki and Y/n had, and the person Mirio loved had no eyes for anyone at the moment because of the heartbreak she just experienced. So, all he could do was sit back and watch, be there for her.

It killed him to see her gaze at the person she loved with hurt in her eyes because she couldn't have him either, that Mirio could do nothing about it. Love was selfless and kind. Even if it hurt and it was painful, it brought the most beautiful features out of someone. Feelings reciprocated or not, in loving someone, all you wanted for them was the best, even if that didn't include you and Mirio was that person. He was stuck in unrequited love for many years now. Heart breaking as hers broke too.

Yet, he couldn't become upset at his best friends because he gets it. He understands what its like to put the person you care for the most first. Only be able to wish the best for them.

Tamaki and Y/n were truly lucky because they fell in love with each other. If all this twisted mess happened for them to get together, there were people who unfortunately got harmed in the end. Regardless of all that pain inflected, Mirio was so proud of them, for once in their life they were finally selfish enough, brave enough to be together and face the consequences that came with that decision.

Mirio sometimes wished he could be that brave, put his heart out on the line like that. However, there were some things even the sun couldn't accomplish.

And honestly, it was seriously fucked up how much the universe wanted Tamaki and Y/n to be together and then not, like it was going through some bi-polar stage or something. Like all these tests were meant for something more. Being the spectator all these years of their relationship, it gave the blond man the advantage to see all this through an outsider's perspective.