Episode 6: wild fire

"Phew! I thought I was about to get caught! Luckily, he was drunk at that moment... If he wasn't, I don't want to think what would happen."

'Let's quickly get the bread and go!' I swiftly walked towards the door.

As I stood in front of the opened door, all I could see was darkness. Before entering, I needed a source of light. "Oh, it's so dark... Ah! I'll grab one of the torches placed in the hallways!"

I retraced my steps and grabbed a torch, clenching it tightly in my hand. As I walked into the dark eerie room, each step echoed in the silent place. I reached out with the torch, igniting light around my surroundings.

*Clack clank!*

"Huh..."

I had suddenly knocked something over with my foot. I moved the torch towards the sound, the light wavering with the lit fire.

Gasp! "Ee-eek!"

The torch revealed a full skeleton; I had knocked over one of the heads on the floor. 'Why would there be a skeleton near the pantry...' This gave me the creeps; I didn't want to walk any further. 'Maybe I should go back...'

"Ugh! Why am I even doing this... Who cares if I die in two days; I'd rather not risk myself." 'If I am going to die, I'd rather not be in this room.'

I turned around, marching towards the door when suddenly, something made me stop in my tracks.

-----

[Quest] Gain the Demon King's Interest. The Demon King is very famished and is craving his longed lover, Layla, the heroine.

Tasks: (2/3)

- Feed him three pieces of bread.

Time limit: 2 days

Reward: 1x dimensional storage pouch (5 meters)

Penalty: Death

-----

"I don't care anymore! I'll just die peacefully in those two days. It's better than getting my head chopped off!"

I marched off, my face dead, and the torch clenched tightly.

-----

!!!!
[Quest] Gain the Demon King's Interest. The Demon King is very famished and is craving his longed lover, Layla, the heroine.

Tasks: (2/3)

- Feed him three pieces of bread.

Time limit: 2 days

Reward: 1x dimensional storage pouch (5 meters)

Penalty: Death
!!!!

-----

"I said! I. Don't. Care!" I continued to march off down the hallways.

'The system could very well change the penalty to my execution; I'll just do the quest after... sometime because that room is giving me the chills!'

------

[Quest] Gain the Demon King's Interest. The Demon King is very famished and is craving his longed lover, Layla, the heroine.

Tasks: (2/3)

- Feed him three pieces of bread.

Time limit: 2 days

Reward: 1x dimensional storage pouch (5 meters)

Additional reward: Dragon's egg (SSS ranked)

Penalty: Death

-------

"I said-" I suddenly stopped walking.

I looked up in confusion. 'Dragon's egg? SSS ranked!?'

'The system could have very well changed the penalty... Don't tell me it's stupid! Or the system just can't change the penalty... Now this is getting interesting!"

"Hm~" 'Let's tease it a bit more.'

"Is that it?... Ha~" I sighed as I peeked up.

[Additional reward: Dragon's egg (god ranked) (Edited)]

"W-wha!" I looked in awe! 'I might be able to survive and not end up with death in this forsaken place! Just for giving three pieces of bread...'

My poker face vanished, the corners of my mouth were moving upwards.

"Is that all~"

[User the quest cannot be changed any further]

"Alright fine!" I felt determined; with the egg, I can definitely survive!

I marched right back inside the room and held the torch that was still in my hand around. Although the room was eerie, all I felt was anticipation and joy.

"Alright! Here I come, three pieces of bread!"

As I walked further inside, the torch lit, revealing many dead corpses and skeleton bones laying on the floor. I could smell the stench of dead bodies and gore.

I clenched my nose with my two fingers and waved around the torch to find the pantry.

"Ugh! Where is the pantry?"

As I walked further, the light revealed a wooden door. 'Ugh, let's just get this over with!'

I opened the door.

*Creak~*

The torches still held upwards as I walked into the room. I saw a small kitchen, pans, and knives hanging on the wall. One stove at the end of the room and a big brown bag next to the stove.

"That bag must be the bread." I walked towards it, and with the torch still in my hand, I had to place it somewhere. 'I could always get another torch.'

I saw a sink nearby, so I ran the torch under the sink water.

"What... why isn't the flame going out?"

I saw some towels nearby, so I used it to clog the drain. I filled the sink tub full of water and dipped the torch in it.

"Huh!?"

When I had dipped the fire in water, the water was burning, and a large flame started to grow and spread around the sink.

"How is fire burning on water!?" The fire began to spread along the counters.

I quickly backed away.