I knew it was impossible. I had cast detect life just earlier. But I was slightly spooked. I drew closer to the well, until my muzzle poked over the edge. I placed my hands on the decaying stones, and peered down the hole. At the bottom was some stone illuminated by a strange blue light. I leaned in to get a closer look, but just then the stones I was leaning on crumbled and fell into the hole, bouncing three times along the sides before landing with an ear-splitting crash. I quickly regained my balance, and decided I was done poking around. The rain was starting to worsen, and I wanted to be inside. If anything was down there it probably couldn't leave anyway. At least, that's what I tried to rationalize. 

Just as I reentered my provisional encampment, I heard a loud, grinding noise off in the distance. It grew louder and louder, before cutting off with a soft *boom*. 

What in oblivion...? 

It was then I heard the footsteps again. Several of them, this time. Fear washed over me, and I softly whistled the detect life spell. Just as before, I detected a few rodents (although they were scurrying away from something) and nothing more. Whatever was out there was not alive.

I evacuated from my shelter, and warily peeked outside. I couldn't believe what I saw. Three skeletons, clad in rusted mail and torn gambeson. they all carried rusty weapons in their cold, skeletal hands. One carried a mace, and wore a corroded metal helmet, with loose straps of leather hanging lazily off the side. Another had only a sword, with nordic runes emblazoned upon its edge.  The third wielded a spear, and wore rusty chainmail. A gasp escaped my mouth, and I hastily ducked back into my shelter. They must have heard me, because they began approaching. Their quiet footsteps echoed my breathing - quick and frantic. I tried to stifle my trembling hands to no avail.

Oh gods, please don't see me... please don't see me...

I retreated to the far end of my shelter, just past my bed and behind a pile of dirt and rubble. It wasn't a smart decision, but my first instinct was to hide. However, the skeletons heard my gasp, or perhaps the stone I knocked over in my retreat, and began to approach. Two of them entered the crumbling panopticon, with the third one lingering at the entrance with a spear. My instinct to hide was destroyed as I realized that I had nowhere to run.

Terrified, I stood up and tried to use the eye of fear to scare them. To my surprise It had no effect. I still don't know if it was just because I was bad at it, or if the undead were immune. It didn't matter. This was a real threat. I let out a desperate cry for help into the air, hoping, praying that someone would hear me.

"Oh gods, help! Anyone! HELP!"

 Gods, this is a real threat... These monsters will not show mercy. They will not hesitate. They will hack at me with their crude weapons until my life was gone. I'm going to die. Oh gods... I'm going to die!

"Help! Help me!" I yelled. Words couldn't describe the adrenaline and fear coursing through me. This wasn't like with the mages. At least were alive. They could show mercy, they could show cruelty. All that mattered is that they showed something. At least I would die with dignity to an entity equal to me. But this... There would be no dignity. I would die like an animal. These walking bones were indifferent to my existence. I would die like a goddamn animal.

"Zatay ahziss!" I cried in my native tongue in a final attempt. "Zatay'na azhiss afa!"

The gambeson-clad bonemen slowly clobbered their way towards me. I had to defend myself. Nobody was coming. There would be no mythical hero to swoop in and save me. If I didn't act, I would die. I clamored away, and stood my ground atop of the pile of rubble, frantically attempting to recall how to use my fire magic. I mentally repeated my mantra: