24

OH DADDY DEAR, YOU KNOW YOU'RE STILL NUMBER ONE
BUT GIRLS, THEY WANNA HAVE FUN

(Girls Just Want to Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper)

"Wait, are you breaking up with me?" Simone stammered, hurt evident in her eyes as I walked up to them. "Yes, it's over," Jean-Pierre harshly spat before abruptly walking away.

"What the fuck, what was that about?" I asked Simone, my brows furrowed in confusion. She shook her head, attempting to find words. "I.. I don't know. We were just talking about Michele and-"

I cut her off, pulling her into a hug. "Kathy.. Is it bad that I don't feel anything?" she softly spoke, and I rubbed my hand over her back, offering a comforting embrace.

As she rested against my shoulder, I gently whispered, "Sometimes, emotions take time to catch up, Simone. It's okay not to feel anything right now." I spoke.

She shook her head "I meant like, I don't feel hurt.. like maybe for a couple of seconds but.." Simone pulled away, her eyes searching mine. "Do you think I should feel more upset? I mean, it's a breakup, right?"

I offered a reassuring smile, "There's no right or wrong way to feel in these situations, Simone. People react differently to unexpected events. It doesn't reduce the significance of what just happened, it just means you're processing it in your own way."

She sighed, running a hand through her hair. "I guess. It's just.. we were fine, and then he dropped this all of a sudden."

I mirrored her sigh, my head feeling a bit woozy. She raised an eyebrow, concern etched on her face. "Are you okay, Kathy?" she asked, and I looked back up at her. "Oh yeah, I'm fine. It's just.."

"It's just..?" she prompted, waiting for my answer.

A brief hesitation lingered before I finally spoke, "It's just Descamps," I admitted, my gaze dropping for a moment. "He's been distant all of a sudden after.. well, after everything."

Simone's expression shifted to one of understanding mixed with concern. "Oh, Kathy. I had no idea. What's going on?"

I shrugged, struggling to put my feelings into words. "I thought we had something, but now it feels like he's avoiding me. I even confronted him and he rudely waved me off."

Simone reached out, placing a comforting hand on my shoulder. "I'm sorry you're going through this. Maybe he's just processing things too? I mean, it was a lot to take in for both of you."

"Yeah, maybe," I replied, a mixture of uncertainty and frustration in my tone. "But I wish he would handle that differently, he can be such a dick sometimes."

Simone squeezed my shoulder gently. "He's a dick, for sure. You should show him what he's missing." I chuckled at her silly comment "How would I even do that? Tomorrow is the last day of school."

We started walking, arm in arm, giggling about whatever came to mind. The lighthearted banter provided a temporary escape from the complexities of relationships and heartaches. 

As we strolled through the school grounds, sharing laughter and swapping stories, the weight on my shoulders seemed to lift, if only for a moment. 

Simone's friendship was a comforting anchor, grounding me amidst the emotional whirlwind within me.

We sat in my room, engrossed in conversation as we skillfully applied our makeup, preparing for the party at Pichon's.