Chapter two

I'm always excited when people comes in for interviews. Who doesn't enjoy fresh blood, right? Though, I try not to show it as much. Usually, Jasmine would interview them, and if she approves, send them to me. She knows what questions to ask, and somehow, she has a way of getting the truth out of them. How? She puts them on a test.

"Mrs. Kendall, your nine o'clock appointment is here," Jasmine says, stopping at my door. I looked up from my desk to her, which showed Tania in. The girl looks around amazed. I love how she expresses herself beyond her professionalism.

"Tania," I greet her. She walks straight to me and gives me her hand.

"Morning, Mrs. Kendall," she shakes my hand and takes a seat. I sit down as well and can't help but admire her. She looks around with a little giggle then at me. This is similar to the look Ariana would give me when I gave her a new handbag or that time when I took her to the aquarium for the first time. She was five, and I was a single mom then. I was alone for quite some time after her dad left me. I only met and married Tony four years ago. He seemed charming back then. "Your office is so beautiful."

"Where did you work before you started this recent job?" I ask her.

"Oh, I was still at school, so I did part-time catering at restaurants and coffee shops. I finished school last year, so this is my first official job," she replies. I nod happily and sit forward.

"What are your dreams, Tania?" I ask. She grows quiet and inhales deeply. When a girl starts thinking, she doubts. A dream is something planted so deep in your heart that whenever someone asks, it just pops up. "Would you like to open your own restaurant?"

"Something like that," she giggles. "But there are so many around us. Within a week's time, another one will open, and this one will be something of the past again."

"Tania, I might sound a little harsh now, but I want you to listen to me. When I started All Beauty, I didn't think about all the other runways, model industries, or fashion businesses. I did what I always wanted to do and looked where I am today. You can be here as well. So stop with the excuses and start dreaming again," I tell her. She looks surprised at me and nods her head slowly. "Now, I have an offer for you. Our model never turned up yesterday. If you can fill her shoes for the month or two, I will help you open your own little place. Maybe in this building for now and then later when you are ready, you can head off on your own."

"Really?" She asks, surprised. I nod with a little smile. "Oh, thank you so much, Mrs. Kendall."

Seeing her happy means so much to me. I get pleasure out of seeing someone so excited and filled with hope. It's not new that I give that to someone, but every time, it feels like the first time.
Jasmine took her from me and headed straight to the dressroom. The room where you get lost in. There's outfits from when I started this business up until today. It can take forever to get what you want. Some items have been worn five times for different shoots, but with different styles like a waist band, leather jacket, or scarf, and some items have never even been touched.
She went through with a little photoshoot just so that we could discuss her in the board room tomorrow and see if she's fit for this project and if we should rather do another one with her. Her love for opening her own bakery has really inspired me to try and get something like that for her. It'll help her reach her potential in the baking industry as well.

I walk quietly through the front, only realizing now how dark it is outside. Where did time go? I was busy with meetings and trying to come up with more ideas, but I never looked at the time. Mostly, everyone has already left. I exit the building and look at Tania, who stood there looking at her phone and then around her again.

"Hey, are you good?" I ask her. She nods with a smile and pushes her phone in her handbag. "Is someone fetching you?"

"My dad," she replies with a heavy sigh. "He's not answering his phone. He's probably still busy."

"What about your mother?" I ask and hold tightly unto my handbag. She raises an eyebrow and shakes her head slowly. I never liked talking about my parents either, so I can't really blame her for not...

"I never knew my mom," she replies. My heart drops for her. She seems to have it all figured out without her mother, but something is missing in her life. "My mother left us when I was a baby. It's only been me and dad since then."

I nod my head slowly and look at the time around my arm. I can't leave her here all alone. It's dangerous, especially for a woman. No matter looks or age.

"Can I take you home?" I ask her. She raises an eyebrow at me and inhales deeply. "Else, we can sit in my car and wait for your dad."

"Dad's not picking up, so I might as well call a taxi," she whispers. I put my arm around her and led her to my car. She follows obediently without looking back. All this girl ever needed was a mother who would hug her and tell her it's okay. I realize that she never had that, and it explains her reaction to me. She gets in the car at the same time I do. "Thank you, mrs. Kendall."

"Just don't tell the other girls," I wink at her and push my key into the ignition, throwing my handbag on the backseat. We fasten our seatbelts before we get going. So, do you have any siblings?"

"No," she shakes her head. "I know you have a daughter and that you're married, though. Everyone knows about you. Is there something you can tell me that I might not know?"

"There's a lot I can tell you that you don't know," I laugh awkwardly and look at the building we pass, then quickly at her before putting my eyes on the road again. "Just tell me where to turn, okay?"

"Okay," she replies. "So what can you tell me?"

"My favorite color is red. I like pizza, not burgers. I never went in a submarine or went sky diving. I love driving in the limo, and I prefer dogs over cats," I tell her. Yes, certain things have never been said, and sometimes, it's better that way. "There you have it. Things about me you'll never find on the internet."

"You're so much nicer in real life," she giggles. I agree and laugh it off. She's honest and very outspoken. I like this about her. "Mrs. Kendall, why do people assume that you're a bitch?"

"Wow, that's a bold question," I laugh and look over at her. She sinks deeper in the chair in embarrassment. "I act a little stubborn in public. Sometimes you have to act a little bit like a bitch to protect yourself. If you're nice, people take advantage of you. That's how life is."

"No, life is supposed to be about being yourself and enjoying it," Tania says. I raise an eyebrow at her and look ahead of me at the road again. "This isn't supposed to be about what others want. I think you should be who you are, whether it's good or bad, and be honest. I like this version of Rose-Ann Kendall, and I think you can still be nice and protect your barriers. You can still be this heartwarming woman while putting down offers and showing people away the hard way."

"Oh darling, if only it was that easy," I sigh and stop at the traffic light that just turned red. "I can tell that your dad did a good job raising you."

"I often judge him for the way he raises me, but I think he did pretty good as a single parent. I would've been a completely different lady if I had my mom," she says. I smile and look at the traffic light, waiting for it to change. "Some people are happier and better off alone than in a relationship."

Her words carry weight. It's so heavy that it's all I can feel. Will I be better off on my own? One thing is for sure, I will look forward to going home. I will be excited to go to bed and get my rest. I will be happy.