Prologue: War Of Death

Start from the beginning

"What a rare beauty-", he said and whistled with his spear pointing towards Jean.

Jean slightly whispered- "Run"

The little girl looked at her mother with teary eyes.
The boy stood in front of his mother.

"Ehh? You trying to get in my way?", the soldier said to the boy with an evil grin. He would really stab the boy with the spear but Jean pushed him away.

The soldier caught hold of Jean who yelled at the top of her voice-
"Barbara! Venti! RUN!... Mom loves you two... very much..."

The fire burned and engulfed everything around them.
Venti had two choices. Either to try and save Jean... or run away with Barbara.
With tears in his eyes he got up, held Barbara's hand and ran.

"Thank you so much... Venti... for making the right decision...", Jean said as the soldier restrained her movement. She struggled to free herself  and took the spear of the soldier to stab herself.

"You damn woman!", The soldier said and gritted his teeth. "You could've lived as my slave"

"No... there is... only one person who I truly loved. No one else... has the right to touch me", Jean said as the blood flowed out of her at a steady pace. The soldier left her alone surrounded by fire. He left her alone to die.

"Ahh... when Venti was born... I was so happy... and then years later we were again blessed with Barbara... we went to places we loved and lived with happiness... Why did everything... have to end like this...", Jean laid on the ground with her body slowly becoming cold.
"Venti... Barbara... please let my children live... let them find happiness even without us..."
Her voice slowly drowned and her consciousness faded away. All that was left of her turned to ashes in the fire that waved across the grounds of Springvale.

Venti ran. He ran and ran with Barbara on his back. The little girl wouldn't stop crying. But he didn't stop running.

_

The sun rose the next day and shined upon the dead carcass of people.
Venti stood in their midst as he held Barbara's hand.

"Where are mom and dad?", Barbara asked.

"They are here... inside our hearts ", Venti said as tears rolled down his face.
"Forgive me Barbara... for not being able to do anything..", he broke down and fell on the ground with his entire body shivering. "Forgive me Mom... forgive me Dad..."

"Don't ask for forgiveness my dear child", the voice of an old woman spoke.

Venti and Barbara looked back and saw an old woman looking at them with sympathy.

"You kids made the right choice... unlike my son who died to protect me... what am I... an old hag gonna do? He had so much of his life left and yet he chose to give it all away for someone like me who can't even walk properly anymore", she said as her jaws shivered.
"Don't regret anything my dear children... all you can do now is live... live for the sake of your dead parents"

Barbara cried and Venti hugged her with tears. This was their life now...

They had nothing left but each other.

After the war had ended, Liyue had emerged victorious without a single loss. Mondstad on the other hand was utterly destroyed. It had become a unproductive desert. Barren lands with no trees in sight and the water in the lakes mostly dried up.

But even in a land like that, everyone who survived in the great war still lived. In straw huts or mud houses, people lived their lives full of misery and sufferings. 

And years passed away with no change.

-