"fine. i'd like to offer you a place tonight but my nephew's just stole your bed" he said as he was putting away his rag.

"you have a nephew? since when?" she asked.

"since my sister sent him to Stars Hollow. So basically last night." he said a little bit annoyed.

"oh i see."

"and i'm sorry, i don't know for how long he will stay here, so i don't know for how long he will sleep on your bed."
he said with the -i-can't-do-anything-about-it-expression.

"no problem, i can go somewhere else, so now how should i call you? uncle luke or daddy luke?" she said laughing and punching him softly on the shoulder.

"neither" he said with a serious look as always.
Josie smiled a little bit but he didn't notice that.

"i'm going to change now and then you can open" she said.

"oh can i leave my things on the counter?" she asked to luke pointing the counter's corner.

"yeah sure" he responded

a few minutes after they opened, lorelai and rory walked in. Josie has always had a great relationship with lorelai, but with rory, instead, they never talked much, you can't tell if they hate each other or if they just don't know how to start a conversation.

"hey luke, hi josie" lorelai said as she walked in.

"hi, coffee?" Josie asked.

"you already know" she answered.

"i got this" luke said as he was walking to lorelai and rory's table.
in the meanwhile other people were arriving and they started working. after an hour, Josie found out that it was late and she had to go to school.

"bye luke, i'll try to be here for lunch" she dashed to the door of the diner and she ran to school.

As always, during P.E. class she made up an excuse not to do it, so she grabbed her bag and looked for her book, which she had put there that morning.
"i'm sure i had this book with me the whole time"
but she couldn't find it.
"well i think i have to watch an entire P.E. lesson"

-

when she returned for lunch at luke's she checked the counter again. she looked up and down but she couldn't find her book.
when suddenly, looking right at a table on the left near the window, someone was reading her book.

"good book huh? where did you find it?" she said to the guy. the guy didn't answer at first, then he continued reading.

"i stole it" the guy said while writing some notes on the margins of the book.

"that's mine actually"

"i know" he just answered.

"you kn-" she paused and stared at him for one second.

"have you ever read a Jane Austen book in your life?" she asked annoyed.

"yes, and i'm writing something that you've certainly missed about this chapter." he responded and continued writing down something.