Chapter 30

First of all, happy new year to all. This will be my first post of 2024, I hope you like it. Let's hope that this is the year I can see a series through to the end, especially since I have more plans for extending this universe beyond what I already have. Now, enjoy.

To say Courtney was surprised when she got back from National City to find Rick waiting for her and Yolanda was an understatement.

"Rick, what are you doing here?" Courtney asked, since their friendship had become strained by Rick's recent attitude.

"I'm here to apologize." Rick said and Courtney and Yolanda shared surprised looks.

"Really? For what exactly?" Yolanda asked.

"Everything. I've been a jerk to all of you and I'm honestly amazed that you still let me be on the team, let alone be friends with me." Rick said.

"Who beat you up?" Courtney asked with a smirk.

"Mari." Rick said, not even bothering to deny that his cousin had beaten some sense into him.

"You tried to take her totem, didn't you?" Yolanda asked with a smirk of her own.

"Not my best moment, but I lost control of my anger." Rick said.

"Rick, if anyone knows what it's like to grow up full of anger it's me. The difference is that I always had someone to aim my anger at, a target to focus it at. You didn't, so you just kept it pent up until it overflowed." Courtney said.

"Yeah, pretty much." Rick agreed.

"So, does this mean you're trying to change?" Yolanda asked.

"My mom is signing me up for anger management classes to help me learn to control my temper." Rick said.

"Good. Because Rick, I do want you to become the next Hourman, but not if you're just going to become a rogue cannon. I've known you a long time Rick and I don't hate you, regardless of everything you've done. I just didn't like who you were becoming." Courtney said.

"I know and I hope that I can make up for everything I've done and honestly, while I do still want the hourglass, I'm not going to let that cloud my judgment anymore." Rick promised.

"Good, because when we take the fight to the ISA, we're going to need Hourman on our side. So get your act together." Courtney said.

"I'm working on it and my mom finally gave me something to occupy my head in the meantime." Rick said.

"What do you mean?" Yolanda asked.

"What I mean is that my mom gave me my dad's old journal and I think that whatever he wrote in it is actually a code for something else. I just don't know what yet. Beth is helping me try to crack it." Rick said and Courtney and Yolanda both smiled, since it was clear that their old friend was finally finding his way back to his old self and they also knew how he felt about Beth.

"Really, you and Beth, alone for possibly hours on end?" Yolanda asked as Rick just rolled his eyes.

"Like you're one to talk." Rick said.

"Actually, we finally got together before we left for National City and we're going to homecoming together." Courtney said with a smile as she and Yolanda locked hands and Rick smiled at that.

"Congrats you two, it's about time." Rick said.

"Maybe you should ask Beth to go to the dance with you, even if it's just as friends, since you don't want to be the only guy there without a date." Yolanda said.

"Shut up. Is that a new necklace Yolanda?" Rick asked, noticing Yolanda's new purple and silver cat necklace.

"Yeah, it was a present from Courtney's cousin Kara and her friends." Yolanda said.

"Go on, I know you're dying to show it off." Courtney said to her girlfriend with a smirk.

"Thank you." Yolanda said and before Rick could ask what was going on, Yolanda tapped the silver cat charm on her necklace that caused the whole thing to release a swarm of black and silver nanites covered her until they formed a brand new and much sleeker and more streamlined version of the Wildcat suit formed around her and it looked like it had been better fitted to her body than her old one had been and the helmet looked better suited to Yolanda's face than her godfather's had. There were even silver lenses covering her eyes.

"Whoa, where did you get that suit?" Rick asked as Yolanda reverted her suit back into necklace form.

"While we were in National City, we found out that my cousin Kara is actually Supergirl and her tech guy made Yolanda a new suit." Courtney said.

"Which I love even more than the old one." Yolanda said.

"Anyways, we're gonna have a team training session tonight and I hope that you'll be able to actively participate this time." Courtney said.

"Yeah, me too." Rick said as they continued talking.