Chapter Three

"Some lovely boys, you got here," Thea said dryly when Newt and Alby approached her at last. "You teach them those manners all by yourselves?" She finished with sneer poorly disguised as a smile.

Alby chuckled. "You play nice there, kitty. Put the claws away. These boys are real sensitive under them masks."

Newt coughed and added, "There's only three rules in the Glade, but you've got to follow them all if we wanna keep order. First rule, never harm another Glader." He paused as if waiting for this to sink in. When he seemed satisfied that Thea had comprehended, he moves on. "Next, everyone does their part. We'll get into the jobs tomorrow, but tonight we're partying. Now, if you think you can handle the Bonfire without hurting anyone, we'll let you out. You're forgiven for what you did to Gally since it's your first day, but we won't tolerate any more of this."

Thea rolled her eyes. "Yeah, yeah, just let me out already."

"Gonna grace us with your name yet?" Alby asked, unlocking the door to the Slammer.

"Thea," she said shortly.

Newt held his hand out to help her out, but she promptly ignored it. Thea didn't need no man's help, nor was she afraid of getting her hands dirty.

"So what's the third one?" She asked, wiping her hands on her black jeans.

Alby and Newt shared a look and Newt cleared his throat. "Just stay in the Glade."

"Why?"

"Because it's safe and we can keep an eye on ya, Shebean," Alby said quickly. They were keeping something from her, Thea could tell.

"What's out there?" Thea asked, pointing to the giant stone walls.

"Danger," Newt answered vaguely.

Thea raised a dark eyebrow. There was no way she was staying out. If these shanks couldn't give her a better reason not to go, she was one hundred percent going. That is, as soon as she got rid of her tails.

Newt and Alby watched her like hawks circling their prey as they escorted her to the Bonfire that was supposedly in her honor. A part of Thea wanted to start running or punch one of them. Even just a sudden movement would work. Anything to startle them out of their stupor so she could see their terrified reactions. A grin crept over her face as she pictured it.

"What're you smiling at?" Newt asked.

Thea just shook her head with a quick roll of the eyes. Idiots. All of them. Did he really expect her to give him an honest answer? With a question like that, no way.

As they made their way across the grassy field, Thea noted the blond struggling to keep up with her steady pace due to a lilt in his step. So she could likely out run him if it ever came to that. Alby, however, didn't have any obvious weaknesses as of yet, but she'd find one in time. These two were in charge and therefore her biggest threats.

Sure enough, a giant fire raged at the center of a ring of boys. A cacophony of noise drowned out the rest of Thea's senses; whoops, jeers, singing that would permanently scar her for life, and the general drone of conversation. Thea grimaced and turned sharply on her heel. "Yeah, that's not happening."

"Hey, hey, hey!" Newt grabbed her upper arm and pulled her back towards the Bonfire. "You've got to come to at least one of 'em! It's tradition!"

Thea raised an eyebrow, unimpressed. "First off, I don't gotta do anything. Second, hands. Off."

Newt wasted no time releasing her, muttering his apologies while scratching his head and staring at the ground in front of them. Thea had to admit it was incredibly endearing, but just rolled her eyes and started off again, though she didn't know where she intended to go.

"C'mon, Shebean. I ain't afraid of ya." Alby took two long strides and planted himself in front of Thea. He inclined his head in the direction of the party. "Have some fun. Get to know some people."

"How about no." She didn't feel in the mood to be the sole wrangler of a bunch of teenage boys. Speaking of, where were all the rest of the girls? How had any of them survived with only the inferior species? "Where are all the girls hanging out? I'll join them."

Newt answered, "You're the first one. That's why it was such a shock to the system when you came up the Box."

That was fine, Thea told herself. She didn't need competition anyway. Luckily for her, it seemed she didn't have any. But as much as she tried to tell herself she didn't care, it stung a little for Thea knowing she was utterly alone in this world. Surrounded only by idiots. Not that she'd admit that to anyone. She forced a short hmph in answer.

"So, shall we?" Alby extended his elbow as if a gentlemen from the old movies offering it to a lady as they took a stroll through the gardens. Only difference was Alby was no gentleman, this wasn't a garden, and Thea certainly was no lady.

"Why should I?" She challenged. "I'd like to take this time to get some rest, gather my bearings after I was so rudely shoved into a cell. I don't think I need to spend my time celebrating that."

Alby laughed; a rich, chocolatey sound. "You're gonna be a handful, Greenie, I can tell. Just go to the Bonfire and have some fun. Maybe put a few boys in their place. I gotta figure out your sleeping arrangements for now. We weren't expecting such... an esteemed newbie."

"I see," Thea said, nodding her head. "You have other duties so you're sending me to the party so someone else will babysit me. Could've just led with that. The putting boys in their place bit was a nice touch."

Alby put up his hands in surrender. He laughed and his dark eyes said, 'you got me.' Thea smirked, proud at herself, and allowed Alby to lead her to the chaos. Not because she wanted to, only because she didn't want to be bothered about it anymore. Newt threw his hands up in exasperation, appalled that she'd only listened to Alby, and followed behind the two with a huff.

"You shanks!" Alby shouted when they arrived. "Listen up! As I'm sure you all know, the Greenie ain't another one of you slintheaded boys. That being said, she is not to be touched. If I hear about any incidents, and I will hear about them, the punishment is a week in the Slammer plus a week after that with the Sloppers, regardless of your job. Got it?"

A murmur of agreement rang out, some more dejected than others.

"Good that. Try not to get too drunk."

Then Alby stalked off and the cheering started up again.