🦋chapter 7🦋

Start from the beginning

The air in the classroom was thick with the scent of chalk dust and teenage apprehension. Sunlight streamed through the wide windows, casting a grid of light over the room that seemed to highlight the tension between Amela and Zade rather than dispel it. They faced each other across an expanse of desktops pushed together, their project materials a no-man's-land between them.

"Okay," Amela started, her voice barely above a whisper, as if breaching the silence was an act of war. "We should probably split up the research."

Zade leaned back in his chair, arms folded across his chest, a statue of disinterest. "You can take the first half," he said, his tone flat, avoiding eye contact as his gaze traced the lines of sunlight on the floor.

"Fine," she replied, her fingers fiddling with the corner of a page in her notebook, the paper crinkling under the nervous energy. She could feel the weight of his presence, oppressive and cold, like a shadow passing over her.

"Is there a particular part you want?" Amela ventured, attempting to bridge the chasm of their reluctant partnership. Her heart pounded against her ribs, a caged bird desperate for escape.

"Doesn't matter. It's all ancient history," Zade muttered, his attempt at a joke falling flat, underscored by a sigh.

"Right," Amela muttered, swallowing the tightness in her throat. She scribbled down a few bullet points, the pen scratching loudly in the quiet room.

They worked in silence for a few minutes, the only sound being the shuffle of papers and the occasional scrape of a chair against the tile floor. Zade's leg bounced restlessly, a rhythmic beat that filled the space with an anxious tempo.

"Should we discuss the presentation format?" she asked, breaking the rhythm and causing Zade's bouncing leg to still. He shrugged, a grudging concession to engage.

"Sure," he said, finally lifting his eyes to meet hers. There was a flicker of something in his gaze, a momentary lapse in the fortress he had built around himself.

"PowerPoint, then? Or would you prefer something else?" Amela pressed on, emboldened by the eye contact.

"PowerPoint's fine," he conceded, and she detected the slightest softening in his voice, like ice beginning to thaw.

"Okay," Amela breathed out, allowing herself a small smile. The ghost of a smile tugged at the corner of Zade's mouth before he masked it with a hand run through his hair.

"Let's just get this over with," Zade said after a moment, but the edge to his words was dulled, less like a command and more like a weary truce.

"Agreed," Amela nodded, feeling the knot of tension between them loosen ever so slightly. As they turned their focus back to the work at hand, she couldn't shake the sense that something imperceptible had shifted, a silent acknowledgment that maybe, just maybe, they weren't as different as they had thought.

................................................................................................................................................................

The cursor on the laptop screen blinked in a steady rhythm, mocking the silence that hung between Amela and Zade like a thick fog. With each passing second, the tension seemed to coil tighter, an invisible thread winding around their forced partnership. The PowerPoint template lay empty, a stretch of white as barren as the conversation between them.

"Perhaps we could start with a historical overview," Amela suggested, her words tentative as she broke into the stillness that enveloped them.

"History is boring," Zade muttered, his gaze drifting toward the window where autumn leaves danced in the playful breeze outside.