part eleven: camp walter

Start from the beginning

Danny stood beside a chair, taking a seat. He raised his hand and waved at me, "Y/n, come here. You can sit with me."

I smiled, "Okay, I'm just gonna get my book."

I quickly went into the trailer, grabbing my bag and pulling out my book that I had thankfully brought with me. I headed back outside, finding a seat beside Danny.

He had a book also laid on his lap and I instantly grew curious.

"Whatcha reading?"

He looked up at me, inserting his finger in between the pages to hold his spot and show me the cover, "Othello. It's a Shakespeare tragedy."

"Cool. I read that for a class once. It's really good." I nodded. He grinned, motioning to the book on my lap.

"What are you reading?"

I held the book up to him and smiled, "All of Us Villains. It's a fiction book about these kids in a death tournament. I've read it like five times."

"Is it like the Hunger Games or something?"

I tilted my head. "Sort of. It's like the Hunger Games meets Harry Potter, which is why I like it so much."

"Cool. It's a little dark though, no?"

"Says the one reading a Shakespeare tragedy. Need I say more?"

He laughed at this, making me smile as we both turned to our books. We sat there for a long time, not talking and just reading. I always found comfort in reading. It allowed me to travel to a different world and escape the one I'm in. I found it peaceful, and it was amazing.

But like always, all good things must come to an end.

I realized this when I got to one of my favorite scenes, and suddenly a ball came flying at my shin, hitting me hard as it fell to the ground with a thump.

"Ow!" I whined, reaching down to rub my leg. I heard snickering, making me look up and see Alex, Lee, and Isaac laughing.

"Sorry, Y/n, we didn't mean to hit you." Alex said, trying to hide his laugh.

"I did." Lee raised his hand, making them snicker again. I rolled my eyes, pulling my leg back and kicking the ball very crookedly back to them.

"You guys are annoying."

Isaac was the one to bend down and pick the ball back up. "Aw, come on, Converse. We're just having some fun. Oh but I forgot, you wouldn't know what that is."

At this, I put my book down, "I do to know what fun is."

"Really? I doubt that." Isaac scoffed. I huffed, grabbing my bookmark and closing my book.

"Are you trying to get me started?"

"I wouldn't mind it, yeah." he smirked, throwing the ball from hand to hand. Alex stepped in, putting his hands up.

"Hang on, I know how to solve this one." he said, "Let's play a game. A scrimmage of soccer."

"Yes. I agree." Lee nodded.

I scoffed, "Yeah, I'll pass."

"What, you scared to lose, babe?" Isaac teased, his smirk growing even wider. I narrowed my eyes, standing up from my seat and tossing my book down.

"Oh it's so on."

"Great, I'll play too." Danny said beside me, standing up as well.

"I wanna play!"

"Me too!"

Parker and Benny both ran from their dirt pit that they made.

"Wait for us!" Nathan and Jordan came running from their trip on the canoe.