{32} LET'S TALK ABOUT THE CHAMBER

Start from the beginning

"If such a chamber existed, it would be scary yet interesting. But it's just a legend... right?" muttered one student, voicing the mixture of apprehension and curiosity that filled the room.

[Draco gives Hermione a surprised look]
Professor McGonagall: [glancing around the room and seeing that the students look somewhat interested] Very well. Well, you all know, of course, that Hogwarts was founded over a thousand years ago by the four greatest witches and wizards of the age: Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, and Salazar Slytherin. Now three of the founders coexisted quite harmoniously. One did not.

"Three guesses who," Sirius whispered to Remus and Mia, who responded with a sound that was a mix between a chuckle and a sigh, indicating that they were all too familiar with the mischievous culprit.

Ron: [turns to Mia] Three guesses who.

Mia and Remus couldn't help but chuckle at Sirius's stunned facial expression, finding his reaction to be quite amusing.

Professor McGonagall: Salazar Slytherin wished to be more selective about the students admitted to Hogwarts. He believed magical learning should be kept within all-magic families. In other words, pure-bloods. [Hermione and Draco glare at each other] Unable to sway the others, he decided to leave the school. Now, according to legend, Slytherin had built a hidden chamber in this castle, known as the Chamber of Secrets.

As the story of the Chamber of Secrets unfolded, no one said anything, completely absorbed by the tale. The air was thick with anticipation and unease, each person immersed in their own contemplation.

"I wonder if it's real," whispered one student, breaking the heavy silence.

"I hope not," another responded in a hushed voice, their eyes scanning the room nervously.

"I wouldn't want to meet whatever's lurking in there," chimed in Neville, the fear evident in his tone.

The anxiety in the room was palpable as everyone grappled with the unsettling possibility of the legend being more than just a story.

Professor McGonagall: Well, shortly before departing, he sealed it, until that time when his own true heir returned to the school. The Heir alone would be able to open the Chamber, and unleash the horror within, and by so doing, purge the school of all those who, in Slytherin's view, were unworthy to study magic.
Hermione: Muggle-borns.

The atmosphere in the Great Hall grew taut as the news of the Chamber of Secrets impacted the muggle-born students. Trepidation and unease spread across their faces, and many instinctively retreated into themselves, their thoughts and feelings mirroring the fear and uncertainty that gripped the room. A few narrowed their brows in skepticism, unwilling to entirely succumb to the false narratives that threatened to unsettle their sense of safety and belonging within the magical world.

[Professor McGonagall points her wand at her in an affirmative gesture]
Professor McGonagall: Well, naturally the school has been searched many times. No such Chamber has been found. [turns and walks back to her desk]

"It's because it doesn't exist," Umbridge said condescendingly, provoking eye rolls from Mia, Ron, and Hermione, who were growing increasingly frustrated with her dismissive attitude.

"You found it, didn't you, Mia?" Alastor Moody asked her, his artificial electric blue iris eyes fixed on her intently.

As everyone turned their attention to Mia for an answer, she met Mad-Eye Moody's gaze and allowed a slight smirk to grace her lips. "Yes," she responded with a defiant tone.

The response sent shockwaves through the Great Hall as hushed whispers and widened eyes echoed through the crowd.

"She's lying," Fudge accused, his tone insistent.