Chapter 2

Vivienne

7th grade

Seventh grade arrived quicker than I expected, and with it came a slew of changes. The summer had been a blur of vacations and trying to forget about the impending return to school. But as September rolled around, I found myself once again walking through the familiar halls of our middle school.

As I entered our homeroom on the first day, I couldn't help but notice the subtle shifts in dynamics. Travis was there, of course, his presence as commanding as ever. But something seemed different. His once-messy black hair was now neatly styled, and his glasses seemed to frame his face differently. He exuded a confidence that I hadn't seen before.

I took my seat, stealing glances at him whenever I could muster the courage. He was engrossed in conversation with his friends, laughter punctuating their discussions. I longed to be a part of that group, to share in their inside jokes.

As the days turned into weeks, I found myself watching Travis more intently than ever. He was still the same smart, popular guy from sixth grade, but there was a new air about him. It was as if he had shed his former self and emerged as someone even more captivating.

Despite my best efforts, our interactions remained limited. We were cordial during group projects and polite when we needed to borrow supplies, but beyond that, there was little else. Travis seemed content within his circle of friends, and I struggled to find a way into his world.

As the days in seventh grade passed, I found myself observing not just Travis, but also his circle of friends. Apollo, with his serious demeanor and towering presence, seemed to be the one Travis often turned to for advice or support. Core, on the other hand, was the life of the group, his sassy personality and quick wit adding an extra layer of energy to their conversations. And then there was Blake, with his adorable features and approachable aura, always ready with a smile and a joke to lighten the mood.

Despite my initial hesitation, I found myself drawn to their group, wanting to be a part of the camaraderie that seemed to define their friendship. I would catch myself stealing glances at them during class, marveling at the easy banter and genuine connection they shared.

As seventh grade marched on, I made a vow to myself: I would find a way to break through Travis's walls, to show him that there was more to me than just a classmate. Whether it was through shared interests or chance encounters, I was determined to make him see me in a different light.

And so, as the school year pressed on, I made a new friend, Haru. With her big brown eyes and infectious laugh, she became my best friend, sharing jokes, secrets, and dreams as we tackled middle school together. Whether we were exploring the school corridors or pouring our hearts out in late-night chats, Haru's presence made everything in school feel less pressure.

She was the exact opposite of me. I, a rule-following book smart girl who doesn't break a rule often. A straight-A student. Doing everything adults say to me. And there was her the chaos herself. She was like a tornado in a small peaceful village. A girl who doesn't give a damn about things. Breaking rules, never actually paying much attention to classes, oversharing but having a little circle of real friends.